Review by KnightMysterio

"A bad game? Well, sorta..."

Well, I finally had a chance to play through the game. I admit, I had my trepidations, especially with the reviews I've heard.

Metroid: Other M takes place shortly after the events of Super Metroid. Samus, feeling out of sorts after the baby Metroid's sacrifice, joins up with her old commander on a new mission. Hilarity ensues. (And by hilarity I mean lots of Samus-on-alien monster violence.)

Gameplay: 6/10 The gameplay felt very stiff at times, however it was fun to see what moves I could pull of in battle, and wasn't completely unusable. The boss fights were spectacular, though. What bothered me the most, though, was the lack of exploration. In past Metroid games you could wander freely around the planet as you unlocked new area after new area, finding new items to add to your arsenal, fighting amazing monsters... I miss that. This game was way too linear.

Story: 0/10 Good god. The main selling point Nintendo was shilling about this game is that it finally gave characterization to Samus. Well, I had heard stories, but until I played it for myself, I never realized how utterly horrid and character derailing it was. The writing was horrible, the acting was worse, the 'authorization' storyline excuse for Samus's upgrades was stupid, and most unforgivable, they turned Samus into a wimp.

People, I have no problem with giving Samus characterization. I like characters with emotions, that you can feel for. But the writing in this was worse than your average fanfiction. I think I speak for the majority of the game's detractors in saying that we weren't expecting Master Chief with boobs, but we were at LEAST expecting something like... say, Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell! Writers, take note. That's how you write a badass female character and keep her likeable while giving her emotions. Don't make Samus Aran, one of the strongest female characters in gaming history, into Shirley Temple, or a Stepford Wife. Because that's what this game has done. Even WITH the excessive sex appeal added to her. (Combat heels? Really?)

Graphics/Sound: 10/10 This I can't fault them on. The visuals throughout were stunning, and the sound was clear and crisp. Even for the Wii, these graphics were pretty damn good.

Play Time/Replayability: 5/10 Certainly, there's a lot to do... Just not as much as the last few games. The 'authorization' system removes any semblance of need for exploring for upgrades, and the game doesn't let you do that in the first place. The storyline of the game is unwatchable and insulting to the intelligence of every single fan of the Metroid series. It just feels... small, compared to past games.

Final Recommendation: Avoid Honestly, I'm glad I played this on a friend's system. Playing this game left such a bad taste in my mouth I can't even bring myself to acknowledge it as part of the canon of the series. Play it if you must. Just... try to ignore the cutscenes. You'll like it a lot better without them.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 04/25/11

Game Release: Metroid: Other M (US, 08/31/10)