Question from DragonDancer198

Unable to read Xenoblade Chronicles?? Help

I have just purchased a brand new copy Xenoblade Chronicles and am quite dissapointed as my wii will not read the disc, i have even taken it back to the shop and they have exchanged it, i have tried every other wii game i have and they all work except Super smash bros, can anybody please help? This problem is on two different wii consoles.

alt_reality asked for clarification::

Do you have a PAL Wii? Because this is a PAL game (or NTSC-J but I assume you wouldn't be asking this now if you have the Japanese version.)

There ARE ways to play it on a North American Wii but... I'd probably get modded for telling you about them.

DragonDancer198 provided additional details:

Tried my game on a 3rd wii today, after it updated the game worked fine, i have emailed Nintendo and still no reply :( we have tried to clean both lenses to the consoles that would not read disc and still no joy.

minneyar answered:

Some Wiis have an issue where they cannot read dual-layer DVDs. Not many Wii games use dual-layer DVDs, but Xenoblade and Brawl both do. If your Wii can't read either of them, then that is likely the problem. You'll need to get Nintendo to repair your Wii. It's a hardware defect, it doesn't have anything to do with a dirty lens.
2 0

Answers

DragonEleven answered:

As you mentioned Smash Bros doesn't work either I'd guess at a slightly dirty lens (or two if neither game will work on both consoles), as Smash Bros was known to have this problem, and it would appear that Xenoblade does as well.
Your options if this is correct would be to either try getting a lens cleaner for the wii (but this may not solve the problem), or to send the console/s off to nintendo to get them to clean it (will probably take longer, but is more reliable).
1 1

tattootears_267 answered:

As alt_reality said, it is a PAL (European Region) game. Do some research into that, or just wait til the NTSC version comes out.
0 3

DragonEleven answered:

The dual layer reading problem is the problem that I previously referred to, but is only a hardware defect in that a small amount of dirt can cause it to be unable to read dual layered discs... I believe that later consoles may have had this problem corrected.
Nintendo released a lens cleaning kit for people suffering from this problem, but as I mentioned before this does not always work, so they also offered free lens cleaning as part of their fast track repair service, but I'm aware that the service has changed since then, so I'm not sure if they still do... they should still be able to sort the problem out, but it may no longer be free.
Either way Nintendo should get back to you in the next few days to tell you what to do next.
0 0