Review by Dugger1981

"The best Zelda game I have ever played"

As a lifelong Zelda fan, I have played Zelda games since the original Legend of Zelda on the NES. While the Zelda series always receives high praise from players and critics alike, even the Zelda series has its ups and downs. Throughout Zelda history, my personal favorites have been The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64), The Legend of Zelda (NES) and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES).

At this time, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) becomes my new favorite Zelda game. The start of the game may feel long and tedious at first (the same can be said of other Zelda games); however, it does what it sets out to do, which is to ease you into the game and become familiar with the controls before you press on with your adventure. After getting used to the controls, I found the button mapping for the item inventory to be much better and more convenient in this game than other Zelda games.

In Twilight Princess (Wii), you had to assign which items you wanted to which which directional pad in order to select the item. In Skyward Sword, no such mapping is needed, for you hold the minus button or the trigger button and move the Wii remote into the direction of the item you want to pull out and use. The quickness in which you can select your items and switch from one item to another gives the game a smooth flow.

The Wii Motion Plus controls are excellent. I love the total control you can have with your sword. Whatever direction you swing your Wii remote, that is the direction in which Link will swing his sword. The enemy A.I. is much better than in previous Zelda games, for you cannot go through this game swinging the remote nonchalantly. In Skyward Sword, you must be prudent with your use of the shield and your sword, and master your defense as well as your offense.

The Wii Motion Plus controls and the strategy involved in your sword fighting and upgrading your items gives you the feeling that you immerse yourself into this game and thus makes it a more fun experience. In my opinion, the dungeons appear to be longer and more challenging in Skyward Sword than in Twilight Princess, so that is a big plus to me. While I enjoyed Twilight Princess, I felt it was too easy for two reasons: [1] you could swing your sword nonchalantly all game and have no little to no strategy required; [2] the enemies in Twilight Princess did too little damage, which made the game all the more easier when you had many heart containers.

Those of you who are familiar with Twilight Princess should not expect this game to be easier. Getting used to the subtle differences in the controls for Skyward Sword may be a tad frustrating at first; however, when you grow accustomed to them, you will find they are better in this game.

In my humble opinion, Skyward Sword is now the best Zelda game I have ever played. Regardless of whether or not this game will top your list of Zelda games, it certainly does not disappoint!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/29/11

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (US, 11/20/11)