Review by SSBbrawler11

"The best Zelda game I have ever played"

Twenty-five years. That's a very long time for a series to last in this day and age, and the only other series I can think of that have lasted at least that long are Mario and Tetris. I've only been around for fifteen years, but I've still played every Zelda game save for Majora's Mask and a few of the classics. When I first started playing this game, for some reason I was a little skeptical for reasons that will be explained throughout the review. However as I got into it, I was completley blown away on all levels. To make a long story short by the time I finished the game, I had concluded that this was the greatest Zelda game I have ever played. The game itself wasn't too hard the first time going through, and I only had a few issues with the controls. But here we dive into the specifics on what made this game so great

Controls: 16/20
When I first saw the demonstration at E3, I could not get over how cool the controls for this game were. As you moved the Wii remote in your hand, Link moved his sword on-screen as well. To make a long story short, it was everything that was promised for Twilight Princess, only this time Nintendo had the technology to actually deliver it. Like in Twlight Princess, you could simply flick the Wii Remote and Link would go nuts on his opponents. In Skyward Sword however, MotionPlus requires you to at least make more of an effort when slashing. Sure, you didn't have to go all out, but at least you're not laying on the couch. However, there were a few minor issues I found with the controls. One of them was stabbing with the sword. you have to get it perfect or else Link will do say, a horrizontal slash or something you don't want him doing. Which is difficult in those boss fights where the only way to do damage is to stab your enemy. Besides that, the controls are the same as Twilight Princess with minor differences. Some people found this method to be annoying, but I actually had a blast with it. It provided a lot more depth and realism to the experience which is why it was one of my favorite aspects, despite some minor issues.

This was by far the best story I have ever seen in a Zelda game. You start out as a lazy teenager in the village in the sky appropriatley named "Skyloft". Unlike recent games, you actually start out as close friends with Zelda. Now at first the story starts out as a little predictable: Zelda goes missing, you have to go find her, the usual deal. However the plot thickens with the appearance of a new villain named "Ghirahim", the demon lord. His intentions at first seem to be simply to keep Link from getting to Zelda, typical villain deal. However as the story goes on, is intentions become more clear and the twists and turns the of the story made me not want to put the game down at all. I've usually found a lack of character development in these games, but in Skyward Sword, every character changes in some way or form, Even Link himself makes a few discoveries. I'm not going to spoil the ending, but I will say that it was deffinitley the best one. So twists, turns, and depth on every level give this game give this a perfect 20/20 for this gamer.

The last time a Zelda game had graphics that weren't in the form of a cartoon was five years ago with Twilight Princess. However with the sucess of recent games, Nintendo decided to mix the cel-shaded graphics with the realistic graphics. As shallow as it may sound, this was the reason I was skeptical of the game at first. Even my Dad said the game "Doesn't look all that real". Then again, he's always been more of an Xbox 360 guy. Personally, as a long-time Nintendo fan, I thought the graphics were quite interesting. Facial expressions looked great and the levels were all looked incredible. Monsters were fun to look at and the Bosses still managed to look intimidating, despite the cell-shaded spin.

Sound/Music: 19/20
The music couldn't get much better. I mean, they had orchestrated music, there isn't much more you could ask for. However the Orchestra kind of took away from some of the epic fight themes of past games, particularly Twlight Princess. The sounds all sounded great and realistic, such as walking on certain surfaces and hearing the sound of grass or stone. However one thing many people including myself would like to see in the future would deffintiley be voice acting. It's a minor issue, but if there was voice acting, there could be so much more depth to the game, It could even be brought to the level of some of the major Xbox and PS3 games on the market. But great music and realistic sound effects put this area just shy of perfection.

Replay Value: 20/20
This game had a better story than many games I had played in recent years. The gameplay was a joyous bunch of fun and all of the above reasons should be enough of a reason to give this game another go. However, if that isn't enough for you, after the credits The game presents you with a choice: Don't save the game and tie up any lose ends before the final battle, or delete your data and challenge the much harder Hero Mode. I haven't attempted Hero Mode due to time restraints, but Hero Mode is a much more challenging mode with more powerful enemies that do double the damage, perfect for the hardcore gamer. Once I have more free time on my hands, I deffinitley plan on attempting this mode and I encourage others to do the same.

Overall: 92 (A-)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword presents an action-packed adventure with twists and turns at every corner, and is near impossible to put down. The controls are fun, despite some minor issues at times, and the orchestra manages to add a bit more depth to the game. I would reccomend this game to anyone who's looking to try the Zelda series, or is just looking for a great new game to play. As a veteran fan of the Zelda series, I can say that this was the most enjoyable Zelda experience I've had, and I truly hope that when you start this game, you will feel the same way!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/12

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (US, 11/20/11)