Review by Psymin1

"Bit Boy!! takes you on a trip through our storied history of video gaming...unfortunately, it's only for the high score chasers among us."

First impressions had me saying "thank goodness I knew what I was buying". Bit Boy!! is a high score chasers game, and that seems to be the extent of it. I will repeat- Bit Boy!! is a game where the goal is beating the high score! But, dang it, it's unique overall. If you're unaware of Bit Boy's premise let me fill you in (as best I can do). Bit Boy!! takes you on a journey through the different eras of video gaming- the first world is 4-bits (Atari style), the second world is 8-bits (Nintendo style), then 16-bits (Super Nintendo style), and you get the idea, all the way to the 3D world of 128-bits. So far, I have played up until 16-bits (Super Bit Boy!! it's called), and I am enjoying the trip down memory lane as Bplus has done a great job of taking the specific characteristics of each generation of gaming and putting it into Bit Boy's design.

The object of Bit Boy!! is to go around a map/maze and collect items (ala Pac-Man) without getting hit by the enemies. It starts out in very small maps, and it gets bigger as the generations progress. This game is not easy. I haven't played it long enough yet to label it as hard, but I can definitely tell you that it is far from easy. Again, the goal is to get the high score, so there are fruits and other various items around to collect to add to your score aside from the items that are necessary to move on. You have three lives, and once you get into 8-bit land, you can start attacking enemies (with a very limited number of attacks). You can continue, but that drastically lowers your score, so obviously you want to avoid continuing whenever possible. There are no online leaderboards, which you might think would come standard on a game about getting the high score, but Bplus has left this out. But, I have heard word (thanks to Frog!) that they're is an online forum to post your high scores on the Bplus website. This can add to the spirit of competition if none of your friends own the game.

Overall, my first impressions of Bit Boy!! are very good. I look forward to going through the rest of the game, and then to start competing for the high score. There seems to definitely be a strategy in this game, and it's going to be fun to start figuring out more than I already have. I like Bit Boy!! quite a bit, and I think Bplus has delivered a very good, if not great, WiiWare title. Give it a try if you like high score games.

Hopefully, this quick, very broad review is just here to give those sitting on the fence about picking up the game a nudge one way the other. I can only recommend the game if you enjoy chasing the high score. If not, stay away! If you do, you will be rewarded with a fun look through the different genres of our video gaming history.

7 out of 10

Thanks for reading.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/15/09

Game Release: Bit Boy!! (US, 07/13/09)