Review by GBPA

"Easily becoming my favorite fighting game; nevertheless a few annoyances."

Unless you have been living under a rock, I'm sure you've heard of Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom at some point. This game blends Capcom's heroes with the anime IPs of Tatsunoko. It plays much like a saner, balanced Marvel Vs. Capcom. Unlike previous crossover fighters, Capcom has adhered to a strict one character per series rule for the Capcom side; granted they consider each Street Fighter game a new series. Now on to the review portion.

Gameplay 9/10
If you have played previous Capcom fighting games; it will feel awkward only having three attack buttons. After an hour or two you will begin to become accustomed to the change. It is worth taking the time to relearn the art of playing fighting games; this system feels many times better and will likely leave you annoyed with the six button formats used in other games. This game feels like a fighting game should; it is like using an automatic gear after driving a stick, or eating ice cream with a spoon instead of a fork. Please note I have only played with a GCN controller so the remote based controls ‘could' be poorly done; but I doubt it. The default controls translate excellently to the GCN controller; that controller was made for fighting games. If you don't like the controls, you can reprogram them too. The difficulty seems to be done very well; the first few stages often feel like the enemies are falling asleep and they don't seem too interested in fighting; however as you progress the enemies become tougher in both Arcade and Survival. In arcade the difficulty begins moving up quickly when you encounter a giant. In survival after every 10 battles the difficulty gets considerably more intense. The only real negative with the gameplay is that some characters feel a clunky and are weaker. Trigger is a prime example; his moves are slow and pretty telegraphed and they pack a below average punch. The only way I've gotten him to be valuable on a team is to have him rapidly fire his buster and knock the enemies back with the shield or drill when they move in; that allows you to build up your special meter for a stronger character like Roll, Zero, Morrigan or Ryu. This is an unfortunate problem; where the best way to play a character is to spam and fight cheaply.

Story 10/10
This game doesn't have a story per say; but each character has an ending storyline and they are very well done and you can view the manga like art in the character's gallery. Unfortunately, unlike the original, this remake doesn't seem to have anime cut scenes. I don't know why they were cut, but the replacement retells roughly the same story; the depth given to these images in the gallery allows me to forgive it the absence of anime endings.

Graphics 10/10
This is a very subjective category; I personally like the graphics; the stages and ending sequences are very attractive. Each character also has 2 additional colors.

Sound 8/10
The sound effects are good; however the stage music was removed and replaced by free songs. I hope at some point Capcom will release a DLC patch to add at least the Capcom music; maybe going the route of Smash Bros. Brawl with random songs for each stage. I don't know if they have left themselves with that option however.

Replayability 11/10
This game has replayability and then some. With 26 characters to learn and try to master you have many hours of potential gaming before you. Just trying to unlock everything in the shop will take a long time; with the additional mini-game I doubt this game will collect much dust between plays. Let's not forget the added online mode; granted online modes quickly become annoying to anyone except for the people who will play this game for 96 hours straight after they buy it or cheat.

Final 9.5/10
Definitely buy this game; you won't regret it unless that is your intent.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/27/10

Game Release: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (US, 01/26/10)