Review by Mega_MikeX

"Good Controls, Bad Graphics (by the Wii's standards)"

Overall this game is OK. If not for the really tight, customizable and responsive controls, this game would be shovelware.

Though the story is excellent, the graphics are poor compared to other Wii games. Other reviews stated that the graphics were good, but all of the models and animation made me feel as though I was playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City again. Especially once I compared the graphics to Metroid: Other M, it was obvious. Not only that, but most of the character models are missing shadows. The killer is the color pallet is muted so that enemies and detailed background such as forests blend together. Simply put, you don't see enemies (in detailed background) until you see the gun flash and are getting hit (remember Turok? Yeah, like that). Also, the cutscene graphics are scaled down and jaggy as well. Compare them to the cutscenes in Metroid: Other M, and the quality is considerably less.

The game also has bugs. I remember in the Vietnam trench level shooting an enemy in the head repeatedly yet he would not go down. If I moved and approached from a different angle, then I could shoot and take down that exact enemy. Hit detection is a little sloppy as shooting enemies causes them to flail around and you can't really tell always if you got a headshot or not.

The controls though, are fantastic. You can customize all types of sensitivity, the size of the aim area until the screen scrolls and buttons. You will be strafing and shooting in no time whatsoever. Equally interesting is the game's story as told through secret missions throughout the Cold War starting at the Bay of Pigs.

The pacing of the game is also a matter of preference. There is no downtime. The game is nonstop ridiculous action with cut scenes heavy on screen flashing and fast distorted images. I loved it at first, but over time it became grating with hearing the main characters name yelled every 15 seconds (MASON!). Again, this is a matter of preference.

In conclusion, the tight controls and fun story are not enough to overcome the poor graphics (by Wii's standards) and game engine bugs. Other reviewers claim that the Wii version of this game is not an afterthought, I disagree. The controls were the only thing truly customized for the Wii. Everything else is a sloppy port.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/11

Game Release: Call of Duty: Black Ops (US, 11/09/10)