Review by TheGreatDebate

"Leaves a bitter aftertaste....."

When I first played this game, I thought it was really good. Unfortunately after a few months, this game hasn't seen the light of day. Maybe I'll put it back in one day, but it probably won't be any time soon. It's just a very bland game. Unleashed HD did the Sonic stages better than this, mainly because there was much better 2D platforming. The 3D sections of both are pretty empty. It's just not the game that it was when I first bought it.

STORY- The story is still good. It doesn't try too hard and is pretty simple and I'm glad. Complicated stories can lead to big plotholes and/or people just not understanding them. The jokes are pretty good and lighthearted. Overall the jokes are hit and miss, but still tolerable. That being said, I wouldn't mind if Sega tried more light stories like this. Oh, we also get a final boss fight as regular Sonic. That's a nice relief. Super Sonic fights are cool, but they should switch it up from time to time (a few games get SS final fights and a few get normal Sonic final fights). I really did not like the cutscenes in this game. They didn't feel smoothly done at all. Unleashed had much better cutscenes. Colors just seemed really rough around the edges and I think it was because of the animations, but I'm not completely sure. Sonic's new voice actor is alright, but I prefer Griffith (especially since he was getting better).

MUSIC- The music is pretty good, especially the final boss music and Planet Wisp. I hate the credits music, though. It sounds like utter crap.

GRAPHICS- They are beautiful, like always. That's something Sega never gets wrong. This game is one of a few that shows you don't need HD graphics to have spectacular graphics.

GAMEPLAY- Plays like Unleashed 0.5. The drifting and sidestepping controls have been changed for the worse. They should have kept it the same as Unleashed. When you drift, you slide all over the place, and sidestepping was much better when it was the trigger buttons. The 3D sections are still pretty empty with nothing to do but watch Sonic run really fast. In this game there are powerups called Wisps, which are pretty fun to use, but I wouldn't care to see them again. Overall it's a step down from Unleashed HD's day stages. It's not all bad, though. At least they took the Werehog out. You also get Chaos Emeralds by collecting Red Rings, then playing Eggman's Sonic Simulator. When you get all the emeralds, you get Super Sonic playable in the levels, and it's about time! Unfortunately Super Sonic isn't that good in this game. It's pretty much just regular Sonic with unlimited boosting and can't use wisps. Super Sonic should be game breaking, but in this game it's more like just an alt skin.

This game is fun the first playthrough, but it get's pretty stale after getting all the emeralds. You could go for S-ranks, but it would be pointless as it gets you nothing but bragging rights. Overall, I don't recommend this game. Just rent it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/10, Updated 09/19/11

Game Release: Sonic Colors (US, 11/16/10)