Review by epicgordan

"Sonic is alive again!"

Ever since I heard of this game, I was excited to play it. Christmas comes, and I finally got Sonic Colors. Two days later, I have beaten the game, and I got to say, it is one of the best games in the series by far!

Graphics: 10/10 The game looks fantastic! Alongside games like Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the No More Heroes games, this game has the best graphics exclusively for this system. The character models are heavily detailed, the levels look amazing, the background is simply beautiful...the graphics are top-notch, virtually flawless. I have nothing else to say about it.

Sound: 10/10 The music is also very beautiful. Yeah, it isn't heavily orchestrated like the Super Mario Galaxy games, but the music here fits very well. Some levels are orchestrated, like the final boss battle music which is epic as h*ll, but I'll get to that later. However, most of them have more of a catchy feel to it like the first level. Two levels in particular have more of a soothing, mystical feel to it with various tempos thrown into the mix, most notably Planet Whisps and the water level (yeah, it's a 3D Sonic game with a water level). If you can afford the soundtrack, buy it now! Or better yet, buy the game; either way, the music is fantastic!

With the exception of Doctor Eggman, none of the 4Kids voice actors return. That's right; Sonic and Tails have new voice actors, and they sound very good. Once again, Tails is voiced by a girl though; however, I did not know that! I actually thought that Tails was voiced by a boy! Now that is good voice acting. Sonic's voice is a little deep compared to Ryan Drummond and Jason Griffith, but ultimately, the voice grew on me. The two comedic robots sound pretty good too. Pretty funny as well, kinda like Scratch and Grounder from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, only they were more for cracking jokes rather than for slapstick. I can't wait to see the direction the entire cast goes after this game.

Story: 8/10 The story is...pretty good. Eggman constructs an intergalactic amusement park supposedly to show the world that he's turned over a new leaf, and Sonic and Tails don't buy it. They go up to the park a day before its grand opening, discovered that Eggman has imprisoned an alien race known as whisps, and using their powers, Sonic explores the park to put a stop to Eggman's evil scheme for...you guessed it: Word Domination. It doesn't try to be epic or dramatic like in, say, SONIC 06, but is very down-to earth and simple, like in the good-ole days. Yeah, Sonic is saving the world again, but then again, Sonic has been saving the planet since Sonic 2. Speaking of saving the world, do not expect a WTF main villain in place of Eggman like...just about every game since Sonic Adventure, because Eggman is the final boss (kinda like in the Gamegear titles where you do not fight Eggman until the end). However, I knocked a few points off because much of the jokes are...kinda bland. Virtually every cutscene in the game has at least one joke, and much potential drama in the game is ruined (such as a particular scene involving Sonic and Tails after one of the first three levels, but I won't spoil it). Heck, the final boss isn't even the final level in this game; immediately after you defeat Eggman, there is one other level afterwards. Yeah, it is ridiculously short, but it wasn't needed, especially since it is the only level in the game not to have any enemies, power-ups or even a stage clear screen. Having said all that, the story is pretty good, and pretty fun.

Design: 9/10 The design for this game is virtually flawless. If you've seen my review on graphics, much of that applies here as well. However, the levels are very varied and creative, The eight levels include the amusement park itself, a planet made out of food, a fleet of ships, the Whisps homeworld--a grassy field with mechanical contraptions all over the place, a water world with an oriental theme, and a mechanical wasteland full of rollercoasters, asteroids, other planets (Super Mario Galaxy anyone?), volcanoes and a factory where Eggman imprisons all the little Whisps. The final level is basically a final gauntlet of enemies, the final boss, and finally a last minute obstacle course. Each world takes full advantage of whatever theme it represents using all the gimmicks present at their fullest, and it doesn't even get in the way of what makes a Sonic game a Sonic game. The enemies here reflect the theme of each world as well. The Eggman robots tend to vary from one world to another to correspond to their theme (the cooking world, for instance, have robots that use spatulas as weapons). Speaking of robots, some of our classic badniks make a return here as well, most notably in the water level.

However, there are a few issues: Remember when I said that the final act AFTER the final boss was unnecessary and kinda ruined the drama for me? Well, immediately after you defeat the final boss, you head straight there! That means if you die in this level and get a game over, you will have to fight the boss all over again (like he wasn't challenging enough). Yet if you beat the entire game, you will see that that final level is its own level and not an attachment to the boss itself. If it were the latter, it wouldn't have bothered me (especially since Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles and 4 all had that little extra), but it is a little bit annoying. Also, the game recycles most of their bosses. The first three bosses in the game pretty much have to be fought a second time during the next three levels. All that is different is that the second batch of enemies either have a different layout, a few new upgrades or there is a handicap involved. Sorry, but that doesn't cut it as far as variety is concerned; considering the fact that this is an amusement park-themed game, couldn't we have had bosses like a killer rollercoaster, an enemy that creates whirlpools or for Planet Whisps (since it is a restricted area) a giant mech we have to fight from a distance? Really, the final boss is the only boss in the game that is truly unique, so I guess that keeps it from losing another point.

Gameplay: 9/10 Good news! No glitches! Even better news: virtually no load times! Even better: No Werehog! And it gets better: various controller options, bonus levels to unlock, S-Ranks to acquire, power-ups that add variety to your progression through each level, the list goes on! Virtually every flaw that was in Sonic Unleashed (and many other Sonic games up til now) were pretty much resolved. No cheap deaths either; you are warned ahead of time of a particular obstacle that could net you a cheap death. And there are a lot of whisps to go through: The most common are the white whisps, which simply charge your boost meter. Then there is the cyan laser in which you have to focus which direction Sonic is facing, and he will bounce off various surfaces for a short while; many prisms and cables, however, will bounce you to a specific location. Yellow Drill can dig through diggable dirt as well as becoming a force to recon with underwater. Orange Rockets are almost completely useless since all they do is launch you into the air; maybe if it were available in many instances where you really want to get up to, say, the gold ring from below quickly or something like that, it would be fine, but there's very little use for the Orange Rocket. Blue Cube is pretty interesting as it turns all Blue Rings solid and vice versa, as well as being able to destroy all destructable objects in the area, and can be used as many times as you want. Green Hover is pretty self explanatory, as well as allowing you to perform a light-ring dash. Pink Spike allows you to climb up various walls and ceilings; you can even jump to them and can last for a very long time. And finally, Purple Frenzy, which destroys everything in its path, even the normally indestructable obstacles. Most--if not all of them--are very useful means of finding various shortcuts if not flat-out allowing you to proceed through the level.

Overall: 9/10 Sonic Colors, as I see it, is the true sign that Sonic has come back from the dead. Sega, it has taken you a very long time, but I think you may have successfully made a Sonic game that most everybody can enjoy. If you want to play a true 3D Sonic game, play this game (Or Sonic Adventure 2 or personally, Sonic and the Black Knight, but definitely get this game). Also, for all of you who may have said that this game ripped off Super Mario Galaxy, no it didn't: Only one level in the entire game had anything remotely like what SMG has as far as gameplay is concerned, and many many games have been set in Space before.

Anyways, Sonic Colors for the Wii finally brought what the fans have asked for after so many years and so much more. It brought the best of Sonic Unleashed, the best of your favorite 2D Sonic games, threw their own little ingredients in, and mixed it all together. Sonic Colors, I hope, will be remembered as a classic for many years to come.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/11

Game Release: Sonic Colors (US, 11/16/10)