Review by WhatTheDeuce92

"A really colorful experience!"

Sonic has gotten a bad reputation in recent years. Mostly everyone can agree that his 2D games on the Genesis were all pretty great. It's when Sonic made the transition into 3D games that he started getting some hatred. However, it seems like every new 3D Sonic game tries something new. Now, because of this, some of the games bombed horribly, but at the same time some of his games had interesting concepts and were actually pretty fun. In any case, it seems like Sega was trying to find a formula that worked. Sonic Unleashed was, in most respects, a good game. The problem for most people was the werehog stages. The stages where we just played as Sonic was fun. Well, guess what? Sonic Colors is like the Sonic stages in Unleashed, and that's all it is the whole way through. The end product? A great game.

Sonic games typically don't have that elaborate of a story, and Colors is no exception. Dr. Eggman has created a huge theme park in space to "apologize for all the bad things he's done." Sonic and Tails don't buy it, so they set out to find out Eggman's true intentions, and to inevitably stop him. It's silly and never seems to take itself seriously. This makes for some funny moments. There's moments where the characters outright say things like how all Sonic does with his time is ruin Eggman's plans, or Eggman will be saying how this time, his plan will work. "I know I always say that, but this time it's true!" It's amusing.

The gameplay, like I said, are pretty much like the day stages from Unleashed. That's all the game is, too. You never play as any other characters besides Sonic (having a bunch of characters is what made some people mad in other Sonic games), and they're always just fast-paced Sonic levels, just like the kind we always used to know and love. It mixes 2D and 3D platforming together in a way that feels just right. Also, as always, Sega adds a new element in each Sonic game, and this time around it's the Wisps. Wisps are small little aliens, and each one grants Sonic a new power for a limited time. These include turning Sonic into a drill, a laser, a rocket, etc. There's around 7 or so (I forget the exact number) types total, and each one adds something different, interesting, and fun to the mix. Overall, the gameplay all blends together in a great way.

This is also one of the better looking Sonic games we've gotten in a while. Although, to be honest, I feel like Sonic has never really had much of an issue in the graphics department. However, this game sure looks pretty. Everything is so colorful (hence the game's title), and all of the different worlds especially just look really good.

I really have to commend the sound department here too. I've always liked the music in Sonic games, although I'll admit there weren't as many memorable ones in this entry. Still, music in here is good. What I really wanted to commend Colors for is the voice acting; most notably, the voice of Sonic. We've had the same voice actor for Sonic for a while now, and in my opinion he just wasn't good. His voice got on my nerves a lot. However, Sonic has a new voice actor in Colors, and he sounds a lot better. I just really wanted to point that out because it's a major improvement from past Sonic games. Everything else in the game sounds good too.

The main drawback, in some peoples' eyes, will be the game length. There's only six worlds total, and I'd say it took me about 5 hours to beat the game, over the course of two or three days. So, it's not necessarily worth full price, but by now you should be able to find it cheap. This should be expected, however, considering that it's all fast-paced Sonic stages. There's over 40 stages total, but you can zip through a lot of them. If you're a completionist, you can extend the game time by a bit though. Aside from S ranking all the stages, there's 180 red rings scattered throughout all the levels. Just by going through the game, I got about 60, but there's still a lot left, because they're hidden pretty well and some of them you can't get until you unlock some new powers. It definitely adds replay value to the game for those who are looking for it.

Overall, Sonic Colors is actually a really good game. It's nowhere near perfect, but it's still a ton of fun. I'd actually go as far as to say it's the best 3D Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2. I called Sonic Unleashed "a good start." I can call Sonic Colors "a good game." If you've ever been a Sonic fan, even if you haven't liked him recently, this is an entry that's worth playing.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/02/12

Game Release: Sonic Colors (US, 11/16/10)