Review by qlaxmicmizzel38

"Boring, generic remake with an okay story"

Goldeneye 007: is, in my overall opinion, not good. It is a tactical First Person Shooter for the Nintendo Wii presented in the form of several missions. It is also a re-imagining of Goldeneye 007 for the Nintendo 64.

First off, I'd like to say this: this review will not be based on how the game compares to the original version, the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions, or the movie (it will also not be based on the online content which is a boringly simple, unbearably laggy knock off of just about every generic FPS multiplayer). This will just be based off of the game itself and how solid it is as a game.

The story is quite interesting, definitely one of the only attractions to this game. and if you follow it closely, and you'll want to know what's going to happen next (that is, if you don't already know.) The story begins with agents 007 and 006 on a mission infiltrating a facility that is believed to be producing weapons for terrorists, and takes you all around the world and into many different environments.

Intro: 3/10
I don't know how many other reviewers rate introductions, but I feel that they are very important parts of the game. They usually give you a feel for the gameplay and story and what's going on. This game, however, contains a very plain and boring intro that doesn't really advance the story or have any fun things to do. It's just plowing down some groups of enemies and trying to navigate through the extremely dark facility (I got stuck at one part because I honestly couldn't see anything in one room.)

The game only has one thing to offer in this department. The controls are fine except for the fact that the maximum sensitivity is extremely low, especially for the crowded environments in which this game mostly takes place and with the ADS (aiming down sights) feature. About half of the time, you're just running and gunning and it plays like any other FPS, although they did add one nice feature: if you crouch behind cover so you don't get shot, ADSing will cause you to raise your head and gun so that you can have a smaller hitbox and still see above your cover. The best, and probably only fun, part about the gameplay is trying to be stealthy. You're always equipped with a silenced pistol that takes three shots to kill unarmored guards/troopers (or one headshot) and in several places, the most fun way to challenge your real skill and make the game less dull is to go through the mission without alerting any guards. To do this, you must sneak up behind the guards that would see you if you continued forward by crouching and then kill them with your silenced pistol.

Replayability: 1/10
After beating this game, it's extremely boring and, to be honest, just not worth putting in your Wii anymore. The only other attraction (besides the online multiplayer, which is so laggy you'll have shot a guy, wondered why your shotgun pellets didn't hit him, got killed, and ten seconds later rewarded with the kill from earlier while playing at a steady two frames per second) is the 007 classic mode, in which you have limited health and can pick up ballistic vests to preserve your health for a longer time. Unfortunately, the gameplay is still very stale. I only made it to the fifth mission in this mode before wondering why I was punishing myself by making myself play. I guess you might enjoy the split screen with friends, but you have much better options even for split screening.

Graphics and Sound: 2/10
The graphics in this game wouldn't pass as good if this were a Gamecube game, let alone a Wii game. The environments are pretty cliché and boring (with the exception of the Nightclub level which is the most colorful level you will ever see in an FPS [in fact, I'm going to change my 1/10 to a 2/10 just because of that level). Sewer level, Jungle level, Snow level. Sound like every game ever to you?
The music is pretty lame too. It has some classic 007 music but it sounds like elevator music in this game, and isn't anything worth listening too compared to many other video game soundtracks out there. The voice acting is pretty bad, to be honest. The sound quality just seems to be low (sometimes you can't understand them, they're so muffled) and no one seems to have any emotion.

Overall: 18/50 = 3.6/10

Conclusion: I don't recommend you buy this game. The reviews and the fact that it's the #1 Wii message board absolutely astound me. It's just not very fun. If you see it for, like, $5, then go ahead and get it for a pretty good story, but until then, don't waste your money.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 09/12/12

Game Release: GoldenEye 007 (US, 11/02/10)