Review by Game Say

"Good... Really Good... But not quite the standard"

Perhaps my thoughts on Ghost Recon are a little bit biased. The first time I played the game was after finishing HALO on Legendary for the first time, and I'm sorry, but no matter how great a game GR may be, that's a tough act to follow. Anyway, let's get down to the nitty gritty.

Tom Clancy always makes great games. Ghost Recon is absolutely no exception. The opening cinema pulls you right in to an exciting and somewhat believable story, and the first mission puts you right in the middle of the action.

First Impression: Gotta' be a 10

Before I go any further I'm going to say that Ghost Recon does all the little things very well. The AI is so stupid at some times that it hurts, but all in all the single player campaign is relatively challenging so it's not a total failure. Graphically GR doesn't raise the bar any, but it is still a good, crisp looking game. Soldier models are especially well done, but the terrain is mediocre at best. One thing that really deserves a lot of praise is the pure scope of the maps. They're big... real big. Too big? I guess you could argue that point, but I'm sure not going to. Perhaps the biggest little thing is the sound. Wow! Stand too close to a grenade and your voice will be echo'n around in your brain for hours. You can litterally hear the wind wisping around in some places, and weapons sound as realistic as they ever have in any game.

Second Thoughts?: Stupid AI reduces that 10 to a 9

Now on to gameplay. If you strip every extra away from Ghost Recon and just look at the game as a shooter it's very solid. So all the extra's can only make it better... right? Yes and no. While the solider you control can run, shoot, and frolic through the woods with the best of 'em, you're sometimes restricted in where you can and cannot go. Take this scenario for instance. You're walking along this rocky path. You step around a corner only to realize that there's a whole troop of pissed of Russians staring back at you. First reaction: Run! So you turn tail only to find that that one little bump in the path completely incapacitates your character, basically leaving him at the mercy of about 30 AK47's.
Okay, so movement can sometimes be a little restrictive... big deal.
What else is wrong with the game? Well, sometimes getting you're squads to do what you want, and go where you want can be quite the chore. More often than not I'd put a waypoint in the wrong place, and in trying to change it put down 15 or 16 more. Next thing I know I've got three expertly trained ''ghosts'' running around in circles like chickens with their heads cut off.
The last annoying little detail that I just can't seem to get over is the fact that you can't pick weapons up off of dead soldiers. It just doesn't seem right. Half your squad gets shot up by a rebel sniper and you can't even take his rifle after you light him up? Guess that's just something I'll have to learn to live with.

All in all: Ghost Recon has everything that a good FPS needs right now. Single player is a great way to kill time and have some fun... not to mention the only way to unlock the best weapons and soldiers.
Multiplayer in GR sets the standard. It's some of the most fun to be had that there is.
Overall I give it a 7...
To be honest with you it probably deserves a little higher than that, but the small glitches and the occasional chop really just piss me off.

And lastly, my professional oppinion: Buy this game. Buy it for the multiplayer alone. Single player by its self is mediocre. Ghost Recon + XBox Live = One of the best games to hit the market to date.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/20/03, Updated 01/20/03