Review by THAguyINgta3

"Say It Ain't So Clancy, Just Say It Ain't So"

I just want to start off and say I usually love Tom Clancy games. I love the Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear series for PSX, N64, and PC. My cousin and I was really hoping for a great Tom Clancy game on Xbox since we are both usually a fan of his great games. Well, we rented this and tried it out. Thank God me and my cousin couldn't find it in stores to buy it or we would have been extremely pissed. I will be comparing this to SOCOM US Navy SEALs for PlayStation2 a little bit on the review, but it is just because they are similar types of games. Anyways, on to the review.

The control scheme is terrible. It is entirely too complicated for a game of this difficulty. I mean, the game is hard, but the controls make it impossible. They are also very unresponsive. It's as if they don't want you to play the game or something. Overall, the controls are crap. It's like they didn't even test them out or something.

The controls aren't the only thing wrong with the game. Oh no. The gameplay is crap. Seriously. You are a Ghost Recon. Part of an elite group of soldiers that fights terrorism. Now in a game where you play as a soldier, you would think that the gun fighting and the maneuverability of your soldier would be the number one thing that they focus on. Sadly, this was not the case.

Say there is a guy right in front of you and he doesn't see you. You shoot him 5 times in the back. Guess what? He will most likely survive for it seems as if the guns do not fire to the position where the aiming marker is. Maybe about 10 inches away from it in the game. This is not acceptable. Then, the guy will turn around, shoot you and kill you in one shot. It seems as if they always shoot dead-on and in the head or something. No matter. You can always change to a new and different Ghost that is in your group. Well since they are probably in the exact same position as you, they will probably get downed right when you start as them.

Now you might be saying to yourself, ''Why can't you just tell them to hold position somewhere or something like in SOCOM US Navy SEALs on PlayStation2?'' Well you can except for the fact that the command almost never works. God they should have just left it out. It seems as if they never want to stay in place. This can also get you killed if you are trying to be stealthy or something. Anyways, overall, the actual gameplay is crap.

The level designs are pretty sad. They all look the exact same really. There is almost no diversity at all. There are around 15 levels overall and they all tend to be in the same thing. Wooded area after wooded area. They could have at least thrown in some snowy places or indoor places or something. Overall, poor level designs.

The characters have crappy artificial intelligence. However, the enemies have the intelligence of some psychic because they have the keen ability to sense when you are right behind them. That isn't a good thing in a game like this that is almost damn near impossible to play anyways.

You see, you have characters in a certain little ranks or whatever. Like, they have people set up in categories like sniper, assault, rifleman, demolition, and etc. This is a good thing though because it lets you pick strategies with different types of people. Something I don't like in the game is how characters can die. For example, say Bob Smith (made up name) dies in one mission. Well, he will have to sit out for a few missions. This can really start to suck when you need someone.

The weapons are overall good. They all are real and stuff like that. The only problem is that they seem to not want to shoot in the direction that you want them to.

The multiplayer is slightly funner than the single player. At least you can try to kill baddies with a friend or something. There is also Xbox Live which is fun in a way. Overall, the multiplayer helped the game a lot.

The replayability is good. There is a co-op mode that is fun if you can get past the crap gameplay. The game is also compatible on Xbox Live and is a lot funner on there than on single player because everyone is kind of equal in ability. I mean, no one has the ability to shoot right at all. Overall, the replayability is the only thing that this game has going for it.

The graphics are pretty good. The lighting effects are good, but can get irritating. I would say the graphics look good compared to other versions of the game on PS2 and GCN. The sound is good I guess. The guns sound about right and so do explosions. Overall, average graphics and average sound.

THE GOOD POINTS OF THE GAME
+ Sound
+ Real weapons
+ Nice concept for a game
+ Replay value
+ Graphics

THE BAD POINTS OF THE GAME
- The actual gameplay
- Controls

Overall, the game seems like a very early beta version of something that slightly resembles a Tom Clancy game. Do yourself a favor and don't rent it or buy it. If you are looking for a first person shooter or just a shooter, stick with Halo or Medal of Honor Frontline. These two games are much better.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 02/21/03, Updated 02/23/03