Review by Disco Man 4

"Decent game, but could have been better."

Tony Hawk has finally arrived on the Xbox. Well, it was inevitable, wasn't it? He's appeared on every 'major' system, with now 3 great games. But, the big question is....is this 3rd instalment of the award-winning series the best version of the game yet?

Read on to find out...

Graphics 7/10

The graphics are decent, you can easily recognise people, buildings, half-pipes, quarter-pipes, etc. But, Neversoft could have spent a LOT more time working on the skaters themselves. There's occasional visual glitches in the skaters, (e.g When I went up a half-pipe with Private Carrera and I could see fully up her skirt.) but most the time they look O.K.

Sound 9/10

The soundtrack in the game is decent enough, with a mix of rap/rock, including Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Alien Ant Farm, Mad Capsule Markets, cKy, Xzibit etc. But, if you aren't into that kind of music, then you can rip your own music on to your soundtrack. The sound effects are top-notch as well, from bailing to the sounds of grinds. The only fault in this area is the fact that there is no character interaction, which IMHO, kicks ass.

Gameplay 8/10

The levels in this game are not the best that they could have been, but they're still very good, despite the small size of them. There is a lot of things to unlock in this game, but it gets extremely tedious after a while. To complete THPS3 fully, you have to complete the game 23 times in total. For me, after about 11-13 times, this game was only good for multiplayer. In the create-a-skater option, you can create females(yay!) plus there is loads of different ways to dress your skater. There is a tutorial for those who haven't played the Tony Hawk's series before (such as me), and it really helped me out a lot.

Multiplayer 10/10

This game really excels in the multiplayer department. get a friend over, and you can have heaps of fun for hours in all the different parks/levels. (There is 30-35 parks/levels that are unlocked/locked, plus you can create as much created parks as you want, which pulls me back to this game so damn often :).)

Buy or Rent?

Rent it first. If you like the way the game plays, then buy it. If you've played any of the Tony Hawk's games before, then buy it first.

Conclusion

Neversoft could have made this game less tedious, but apart from that, it's a very good game. Not a killer game, but very solid.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/27/02, Updated 05/27/02