Review by HIT

"Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is one of those games that are worth $50"

I went to my friend's house and my friend owns an Xbox. He has lots of games of the Xbox. I picked out Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 to play first. Man, it was great. The game looked so good.

This is the second Tony Hawk game on the Xbox. The Xbox version of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 has better graphics than the PS2 and the Gamecube. I played all three versions, but the Xbox's graphics was better, but the graphics was slightly better. The Xbox version has less slowdown than the PS2 and the Gamecube. It also has extra stuff, too. It has an Exclusive Xbox level and a secret character.

Gameplay- There are nearly two dozen characters in the game. There are a lot of modes for you to play in. This game is a lot of fun. You could play two player or just one. The career mode is the heart of the game. You play in each level and you try to complete goals that must be completed to open new levels. The money thing in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is gone, but they replaced it with the five stat points. In each level, there's a new deck design. There are also three competition levels.

If you played Tony Hawk 2X, the controls are about the same. The grinds and verts are the same, too. There's a meter for manuals and grinds. This game is all about the grinds and manuals I think because you need them for those Sick Scores. The Sick Scores are 500,000 points.

They added a new thing to this game which is the revert. By pressing the trigger just before landing from a vert trick or an invert, you can continue the trick line. That is also useful. The levels are a lot of fun in the game. The environments are realistic.

Story- This game is about skateboarding and this can be played by anyone. If you like or dislike skateboarding, this game still can be fun. There are five multiplayer modes. Trick Attack is fairly simple. You just do tricks to see who can achieve the highest score. Horse is when you take turns trying to do tricks. The first person does a trick, and the second person has to beat the score. If the person doesn't beat the score he gets a letter. Graffiti is when you trick everywhere. You can grind and do tricks on ramps and they will be your color. If your opponent does a trick on the ramp that you just did on, and he has a higher score than you, it's his ramp now. Slap! This is just like tag. You try to knock them over. King of the Hill is a race to find the crowns and become the king of the hill.

Audio/Video- The Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 soundtrack is awesome. The tunes are good in the game. If you get sick of the tunes of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, you can always customize your own soundtrack. I customized my soundtrack and it was cool. Tony Hawk was skating to Britney Spears. It was quite funny. The sound effects are nice. The sounds of grinds are pretty good. Pedestrians will talk as you pass by.

The graphics of this game are totally awesome! This game maintains 60fps throughout most levels. There are just a few slowdowns and most of them are in the start of the levels. The Xbox version was actual smoother than the PS2 and the Gamecube. The slowdowns are greatly improved.

The levels are big with great detail. The Xbox version has slightly better blood smears. Each of the characters in this game are fully animated.

The environments are filled with pedestrians and cars. There is also traffic and can run you over. Birds fly, cops chasing the robbers, and some other things.

Replayability- Once you beat the game, it's worth playing it over and over again with a new character or your own created character. This game will last you until Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 comes out. In this game, you will never get bored, or unless you absolutely suck at this game. You could play multiplayer which is cool, too.

Buy or Rent- If you are a hardcore fan of the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series, then I suggest you to purchase this game. If you aren't into this game, and want to try it out, I suggest you to RENT. If you think that Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X sucked, I suggest you to rent it to see how awesome the version is.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/09/02, Updated 06/09/02