Review by GameGeni81

"To behead or to impale, that is the question"

Hear ye hear ye, this meeting of LOK junkies is now is session. When I heard that Eidos was gracing our beloved Kain with an appearance on the XBOX, I was extremely excited. Blood Omen was arguably one of my favorite games on the PS1 and when Soul Reaver came out, I could hardly contain myself. Soul Reaver 2 was addition to my collection and as I said I was doing back flips when I heard about Blood Omen 2, and then sadly enough my hopes were crushed when I played the long awaited title.

Game play: 6/10
Throughout the 11 “missions” that Kain is sent on, the game play doesn’t change much. With the occasional lever puzzle entirely too reminiscent of the Tomb Raider series, and the ever so predictable enemy attacks, takes away from the game, and for the very judgmental gamer, the fact that Kain floats and attains Dark Gifts entirely too similar to those of Raziel in Soul Reaver, puts the game in sort of a bad light.

Don't get me wrong, this game is pretty, it is a heavy dose of eye candy. The environments are ok but in my opinion, these graphics are not up to par with the awesome power of the XBOX.

The sound effects on the game rocked and the music only added to the dark experience, however during the cut scenes the background noise, made the dialogue almost impossible to hear and one of my main reasons for playing the game is to get the story, hence the low sound rating.

Control: 8/10
The controls for BO2 are extremely simple to pick up and I would expect nothing less, unfortunately the issue of having to hold the r trigger to attack really got on my nerves.

Replay: 2/10
Once, possibly twice if you love Kain that much, but the third time through, you are sure to be nodding off and almost certain to finish the game while you're asleep. The game would have been slightly more interesting if there were a change in difficulty, and much to my dismay, your enemies have an redundant attack pattern, easily overcome with the occasional block or dodge. Thus making the game nothing short of boring after you have beaten once.

Blood Omen 2 is certainly not a horrible game, I've played worse, but it just wasn't all that it could've been. Definitely one that you rent and not buy, unless of course you are a die-hard LOK junky.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 04/15/02, Updated 04/15/02