Review by Padfoot16

"HALO this is not, but it's still awesome."

Summary: Looking back, this was one of the most highly anticipated games of the year. Brute Force was the considered to be ''The Halo killer''. Unfortunately it's not, but it sure comes close. I'm sure most of you have checked out the reviews from IGN and Gamespot. These are the websites that had expected way too much from Brute Force and ended up feeling disappointed. To put it short, when you go into this game don't expect the most revolutionary piece of software to ever grace the screen of your T.V. Just go into it knowing that your playing a grade A title and nothing more.

Story: In the year 2340, cloning technology has made training and recruiting soldiers obsolete. The future of the Confederation, of humanity itself, is in the hands of the most skilled warriors of the age-warriors who can fight to the death and be cloned to battle another day.

In other words, aliens are taking over and it's up to your group of four soldiers to save the world.

Gameplay: Brute Force was called a tactical shooter and while this is mostly true, there are still a few team-based problems that developers didn't put enough thought into. A good example is that while your supposed to put each member of your team to good use, you can basically play the entire game using one team member while the others stay behind you and provide back up. I was a little disappointed with this, but your still able to use tactics just not to their fullest effect.

On the other hand, I love the different uses of each team member. Hawk is my favorite with her ability to use camouflage and sneak up in front of the enemy and slice them right in half with her blade. Tex is mainly good for blasting away enemies to make a path for the other three team mates. Brutus has the ability to sense far away enemies and charged at them with his strength. Flint is extremely helpful in taking out enemies from high points, thereby making a safe path for the other members. It's just to bad that all these uses aren't really needed to progress further into the game. (Hint: Play this game on Brutal and everything I've said about sucky tactics will mean nothing. You wanna tactical shooter? Brutal is the way to play.) If there's one thing this game will be recognized for it's the intense action relatively deep gameplay. Remember, Brute Force isn't revolutionary, it's just one might fine game.

Graphics. The visuals for this game are better than HALO. Everything seems a lot more detailed. The explosions are better, the animation is better, and the grass is beautiful. The character designs are well done, especially brutus. As for framerate, I don't care what anyone else says, the framerate is great. I haven't noticed any slow down at all.

Sound: Well, I can't really give a good review on sound because I don't sport surround sound speakers. The only thing I can say is that the background music is a perfect match with the action. The voice acting is excellent as well, most notably Tex with his sarcastic attitude.

Overall: Buy this game. It's long, it's intense, and it's the perfect time waster until HALO 2. Ignore what the big guys are saying about the average gameplay. The gameplay is non-stop action packed fun.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/29/03, Updated 05/29/03