Review by yanksmtm

"A game that the Xbox needed"

Let me start of by saying this: do not start playing this game expecting it to be the next Halo, because, its not. Also, do not buy into it being called a a tactical game where issuing squad commands is necessary. I have never HAD to issue any of the four commands to my teammates since I started playing. However, it IS a fun game that is well worth your $50.

The gameplay is very good. Anyone who has played Halo will be able to jump right into it and have no problems with the controls. Even if you have not played Halo, it should only take you 15 minutes to get used to them. As I said earlier, the squad based elements are not very polished. While it is very easy to switch between each of your four squad members, you never need to. This is strange considering each has his own different abilities. For example, Hawk is supposed to be the team's stealth member, and she can turn invisible, but there is never a spot where you need to utilize this ability. The same goes for the sniper, Flint. There is never anytime where you need to use her sniping ability. So why do I give the gameplay a 9? Because your other option is to just go in guns blazing, and when you do this, its a heck of a lot of fun.

Nothing great, nothing horrible. You are a team of four elite soldiers who goes from place to place killing assorted people or creatures. I don't skip the cutscenes that explain it, but I'm not enthralled in the conversations either.

Wow, these graphics are sweet. The graphics in the cutscenes are amazing, right down to the small details(take a look at Hawk's hair). They are also great in-game too. The enemies are very nicely detailed, and while I wish there were a few more environments, what they have looks great. I have never noticed any slowdown in the single player, and hardly any in multiplayer. Solid to superb all the way around.

Much better than expected. Not much in game music, which is a good thing because it accentuates everything else like the gunshots and footsteps. The voice acting, while not great, is better than most games and gets the job done the majority of the time. I wish they would have kept the attempted comedy down, as most of it is not funny, and each character seems to say the same line when they kill somebody, which can get annoying.

Replayability: 8/10
I am almost almost finished playing through this on the easiest difficulty, and I can say without hesitation that I look forward to playing through it at least two more times to beat it on each difficulty. I haven't played the multiplayer too much yet, but there seems to be a lot to it. Also, for those of you with Xbox Live, downloadable content it coming.

Final Word:
This game gets a 9/10 from me. It is not a flawless game, which keeps it from getting a 10, but loads of fun anyway. Just don't expect it to be as good as Halo, or have squad elements as deep as Conflict:Desert Storm, and you will enjoy it. In fact, it is basically a much improved version of Max Payne or Dead to Rights: a simple action game, which suits me just fine.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/30/03, Updated 05/30/03