Review by Halo 54

"Good gameplay, but too short."

After just recently renting this game, I feel qualified enough to write an adequate review for this game. I have to admit that I didn't plan on renting this when I got to the store, but the title and the Bond name really caught my eye, so I decided to try it out. It was definitely worth it, and here is why:

Gameplay: (9/10)
Agent Under Fire plays very well. There are so many fun things that you can do in this game, and I'm only talking about single player (I'll get to multiplayer later). Between running around shooting guys from a first-person perspective to amazing driving levels to shooting down Apache helicopters, this game has it all. For any fans of the Bond movies/games, I can guarantee that you won't be let down by AUF.

Graphics: (8/10)
The graphics in this game are exceptional, but still lacking from what other Xbox games have. I mean, I think they are great, but compared to some other games that are out right now, it lacks somewhat in this department. It almost seems like the movies have worse graphics than during the actual game, but maybe that's just me? Anyway, I think it is very pleasing to look at, and has the best graphics out of the three versions, over PS2 and GCN.

Controls: (7/10)
A little confusing at first, but overall pretty good. I set the movement controls to Setup 2 (like Halo) and this made it so much better for me. The only problem I've had is the switching between gadgets, which can be somewhat confusing. But, once I got used to it, it wasn't as bad.

Story: (7/10)
What can I say? The Bond stories have always been average. Not too bad, not too good. But overall, it is pretty entertaining. The only part that disappointed me was the ending...but the inclusion of the Bond women makes up for it entirely :)

Sound: (8/10)
The sounds in this game are quite good. From the Q-Claw buzzing to the bang of each bullet fired, everything seems to be pretty realistic as far as sound effects go. I don't usually listen to music much during games, but I can't help but hum the 007 theme song while playing. The music usually conveys the theme of the level, and accompanies it well.

Multiplayer: (8/10)
This game has a great multiplayer mode. With customizable weapons, options, powerups, modifiers, and bots, there's plenty of reasons to keep playing. The map designs are pretty good, though lacking size. I like being able to play with bots, because of the fact that I can't always play with other people.

Rent or Buy?
Even though I really liked AUF, I feel that is too short to spend all the extra money on. I was able to easily beat it and still have fun with it in the 5 days that I had it, so I would recommend you to rent it if you haven't yet. Unless you're a Bond fan or collector, of course. Rent

So, these are the reasons why I liked this game. I feel that if you like any sort of action genre game, then you will most likely want this one.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/02, Updated 10/10/02