Review by weaponx53227

"This game is Seriously fun!"

Serious Sam is a first person shooter brought to us by Croteam and Gotham Games. Sam must fight monsters from another dimension to save the Earth from being destroyed. To do this Sam must travel back in time and fight all sorts of monsters from headless kamikaze bombers to chainsaw wielding pumpkin headed monsters. Yes, as you can tell from that Serious Sam is not as serious as Halo or Doom, but it is Serious fun. Ok enough with the puns, seriously.

Gameplay (10/10)
If you never played a first person shooter or could never handle the controls Serious Sam can cure you of that. The controls in the game are so smooth and fluid you'll feel like a fps veteran in no time. For those of you that have been thru a shooter before it's standard fair. The triggers control jumping and shooting while the left stick is for moving and the right is for aiming/looking around. Pretty simple.

Story (5/10)
This is the only part of the game that bugs me. Ok you ask what kind of story could be made out of destroying an invading alien army? Well not much, but they could have thrown in a plot twist in there to keep things interesting. Those that have played Halo will know what I mean. Otherwise it's just straight shooting ask questions later type story.

Graphics/Sound (8/10)
While not the sharpest visuals on the Xbox they are impressive, especially in the later levels. One such example is in one of the later levels your inside a castle that has shinny floors. You can actually look down and see you characters reflection in the floor. Very cool. Sound is decent with all of Sam's one liners but the aliens/monsters sound effects does get a little annoying after awhile. Especially the monsters that yell as they are running towards you. If you play the game you'll see what I mean.

Playtime/ Replayability (9/10)
Serious Sam is one long game. With 36 levels to go thru it will take you awhile to beat this one but it is all worth your time. Replay is high with the two player modes and the fact that some levels branch of into different levels.

Final Recommendation (8/10)
I highly recommend picking this game up. Even if you don't like first person shooters, rent it, you may have a change of heart. Serious Sam is a fun time from beginning to end. From the smooth controls, good graphics, and Sam's humor this will be one game you find hard to put down.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/04/03