Review by Super Bandicoot

"Doesn't quite top Mario, but still a good game."

Graphics: A big improvement over the PS games, but still below Xbox standards. Sure, you see the fur on Crash and Coco on close-ups but still, compare this to Madden 2003 or Halo, or even Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, you will see how much of a difference there is. The frame-rate is smooth, but then again, almost all Xbox games are. I have seen what the Xbox can do and this isn't even close.

Score: 6/10

Presentation: A bit corny, the mad-scientist deal and all that, but it could be worse. It also features the amazingly annoying ''cheap'' ending at the end of the game and you have to get 100% to get the ''real'' ending. The presentation of the game is slightly different from the PS games, so if you played those games, The Wrath Of Cortex might take some getting used to.

Score: 7/10

Controls: No glitches noticeable; the controls are pretty well done. Crash has all his old moves, such as the body slam, slide, spin, and crawl to name a few. You unlock more moves as you beat more bosses, but unfortunately is no super slide. *sniffs* As far as I can tell, there is no delay between when you press the button and when it happens; they are pretty smooth.

Score: 10/10

Gameplay: Pretty darn good if you ask me. But the game isn't very necessarily, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You start off with the option to go to any of the first five levels, and once you beat them, you get to fight the boss. Then you get to go the next five levels. When you are in a level, it is basically the same view as Super Mario 64.

Score: 10/10

Replay Value: As I said before, once you beat the last boss, you see the ''cheap'' ending that lasts about ten seconds. You must get all the gems and relics and then beat the last boss again to see the last ending. I'd guess it would take the average gamer a few months to get the ''real'' ending.

Score: 9/10

Comments: Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex is a good game, but it doesn't have the level of quality that Mario does. Even though you spend months playing the game, you could spend years playing Mario. But if you want a good platform game to pass the time till the next Mario game comes out, you should pick up the game.

Overall Score (not an average): 7/10

Buy or Rent: If you are a big Crash Bandicoot fan you should buy it. But if you have never played a Crash game, to be safe and not get buyer's remorse, try renting it.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/22/03, Updated 02/22/03