Review by Jeff Hardly

"This game not only splits time, but my opinion."

I missed the first TimeSplitters game. I had no interest in it, and no desire to ever play it on PS2. Then, one day, I heard the hype on the boards about how awesome the sequel was, and I just had to buy it. And, well, the game is buy-worthy, but not for all the reasons.

It's on XBox, so of course it's going to look great (unless it's a direct multi-port release like Turok: Devolution [not a typo]). The graphics are very sharp, with very few problems. My only beef with the visuals lies within the character models, who look just a bit too cartoonish for my tastes, but they're still tolerable.

Sound/Music: 8/10

The music complements each stage you play in, and is sometimes pretty catchy. Other times, it's completely forgettable, especially during multiplayer. The sounds are done nicely, with some semi-decent voice acting and AWESOME monkey noises. Sure, the robots and other animals sound accurate, but the monkey is the true shining star.

Control: 8/10

Remember GoldenEye? The greatest FPS of all time until Halo? TimeSplitters 2 controls very similarly, with the typical dual-analog control and appropriate firing buttons. The controls are smooth, and you shouldn't have trouble adjusting. The only problem lies within its lack of innovation. Everything's the same, which is nice, but some effort could've been made to add something, even if just bells and whistles.

Multiplayer is where this game is at. Story mode is only good for the unlockables, and you probably won't be playing through it more than necessary. It's the standard ''complete objectives A-D to advance'' stuff that you've seen in its predecessors. While it's somewhat entertaining to go through the different time periods, you're left wondering why you're doing it in the first place. Arcade mode has so many options and customizable aspects that you'll be experimenting for months. And on that note...

Replay Value: 10/10

When you're not blasting your friends' brains out, you'll be conspiring diabolical new modes and constructing new arenas of torture. This is a game that you can play for years.

Rent/Buy?

Buy it for the multiplayer mode; if by yourself more often than not, rent it. But, in either case, you MUST play this game, but don't be hyped about the so-called ''Story'' mode. And while you're at it, buy a LOT of coffee. You'll need it all to endure the restless nights with your friends (or enemies).

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/17/03, Updated 02/17/03