Review by iamthewolf

"I just didn't care for this one..."

When I first put this game into my X-box, I did not quite know what to expect. As with all games, my first impression was a good one, but it did not last.

Graphics: 7

I can't find anything to complain about in this department, in fact, I really like this games graphics. I can see some room for improvement, but they're still one of my favorite parts of this game.
The reason I gave it an 8 is because the graphics remind me a lot of Goldeneye's, which is a good thing. But it's been a few years since Rare (now ''Free Radical'') has come out with a game. I just was expecting a more original thought.

Sound & Music: 6

Again, I can't see anything wrong with the sound or the music, it's just because they remind me so much of Goldeneye that I just wasn't impressed. They just took Goldeneye and mixed it.

Control: 9

This is my favorite part of the game, believe it or not. I find that most first person shooters (especially for the X-box) are really hard to control. Even Halo's controls, as good as they were, could have been better. The only problem I have is that, in some of the mini games that require fast-paced, very accurate aiming are tough to beat, because the aim is hard to control.

Gameplay: 4

Okay, here's the part about the game that I really didn't like. I don't understand why people are comparing this game to Halo: the combat is nothing like it, the story is nothing like it, and in no way is it any where near as profane or dark. I found the game to be very boring. Don't get me wrong, the first three levels are great! It's just after that the game gets... well, kind of dry. I find it plays more like Medal of Honor: Frontline, than Goldeneye or Halo.
I'll compare it to Halo, since people insist on doing that. In Halo, even on the easiest mode, the enemies are smart. In Timesplitters 2, if you take the level down to easy and the enemies get stupid. Another thing that bothered me about this first person, in comparison to Halo, is that when you blow up an enemy, they don't go flying like they do in Halo! Also, they're are too many enemies and guns. Halo had few of them; they were all perfected, though.
However, this game does have a few good points in it's gameplay. For starters, the multi-player is very cool. Also, I think that being able to make your own level, as confusing and tedious as it is, is a really cool thing to put in.

Overall:

I give this game a 7. While it can be entertaining, especially the mini-games, the overall gameplay is very mediocre. It just doesn't strike me the right way, I guess. It felt rushed.
Though, if you're a fan of multi-player games, or have always been impressed by Rare's games, this one's worth getting. Notice have I haven't talked about selling it, yet? That's because I think it's worth buying.

Buy/Rent:

Only if you like First-persons is it worth buying. It's above average, but still very average at the same time. I suggest that you rent it if you aren't sure.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/19/03, Updated 03/19/03