Review by Squaresoft111

"Stealth games redefined."

Gameplay 10/10

This is one of two things where the game really shines. The gameplay is similar to any other stealth/espionage game out there. The use of shadow's in this game is key, if you don't know how to use them you're going to have some trouble. The AI of the enemies are very good, at times it's too damn near frustrating, but as long as you're using the shadow's to your advantage you'll have no problem. The gadgets are really fun, if you have trouble not knowing what they do, then just go to the menu and they'll show you a small video clip of Sam using the gadget/item. One of the coolest gadget in the game is the Optic Cable, this nifty gadget lets you see what's on the other side of the door before opening it, just push the right trigger and you'll see the small camera go under the door and you can move it left or right to see if anyone is there.
Now onto the different types of Sam's movements. There are a total of 24 different types of moves he can execute, ex. climbing(poles, ladders or fences) wall
jumping(he can use this move to jump from one wall to another so he can reach a higher place)and finally the infamous Split Jump (when near a narrow alley/hallway, Sam can do a jump where he plants both legs in a split against the walls, you can also jump on an oncoming enemy right under you). These are just some of the many types of things he can do during the course of the game.

Controls 9/10

The controls can be very confusing at times, but during the course of the game you'll get accustomed to it. The left analog is to move, right analog is move the camera, the Y button makes him jump, the B button makes him crouch and while running by pressing it he can roll. These are some of the controls, but you have to use some of these controls together at times if you want to progress further in the game.

Graphics 10/10

Remember earlier in the review when I mentioned the gameplay was one of two things where the game shined? well this is the other part. The graphics in Splinter Cell are some of the best I've ever seen. The lighting in this game also is like no other. The shadows cast from the sun/light coming from either an fan or window blinds are remarkable. I won't tell you how it looks like, as you have to experience it for yourself. Other then the shadowing effects the visuals of Sam himself or other people like the cops or enemies and the area in which you explore are done very well. They rival those of MGS, which if I may add had some of the best graphics I've ever seen when I played it.

All in all, Splinter Cell is the best stealth/espionage game out since Metal Gear Solid 2. It has everything you would want in a stealth game. A must buy for fans of action games.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/24/02, Updated 11/24/02