Review by PoopyMcPoopster

"Best XBOX game of 2003? ...yes, yes it is."

While there have been a lot of good games for XBOX in 2003, none of them were anything to get too excited about. Deus Ex: Invisible War blows all the games away this year and sits right along side some of my favorite FPSs of all time.

Graphics---9
The graphics in this game are truly amazing. The beginning cut scene is beautiful--close to the ones in FFX. The environments are well-detailed and varied. The character models are the same, yet could have stood to look a little crisper. The lighting effects rival Splinter Cell. Light reflects well and makes everything look more realistic. A problem some people have is slight slowdown. I haven't experienced more than 1 or 2 hiccups after 20 hours of playing. While I may have been lucky, the problem seems wide enough spread to get mention.

Control---8
The controls are actually very intuitive...once you get used to them. At the beginning of the game, it was sort of hard---not too hard---to work with the biomods. Also, the control didn't seem as precise as say- Halo. But after about 20 minutes, it was all second nature. The button interface (default) is very good. I especially like the quick gun retriever (allows you to quickly search for weapons, tools, and health). There is a lot of customization, including: inverted axis, sensitivity, vibration, and other nice features.

Story---10
Probably the best story for any FPS ever. You begin with a cut scene of a terrorist destroying Chicago. You are then rushed off to the Tarsus Academy in Seattle. Needless to say, there are a lot of plot twists. It is truly compelling and told quite well. I won't go into too much detail, but just know: if this review was based solely on the story, it would get a 10.

Gameplay---10
...the part that really counts. This game is so amazingly fun because of its gameplay it is hard to describe. To make it easy on myself, I'll start from the beginning. You start out the game by choosing your gender and color (3 females and 3 males). Probably what people will recognize first is the Havok physics engine, as well they should. Everything reacts nicely to everything else. Throw a dead body at a basketball and the basketball will roll away. What many people will miss is the lighting, which can either help or kill you. Hide in the dark, create your own darkness to hide in---everyone and everything reacts realistically to light (an integral part of the game).
The game plays much like any FPS, but gives you worlds to travel around in freely. You can talk, kill, or just throw stuff at the people in each city. You are given missions by different factions and random people, ranging from killing someone to just going to a specified place. Throughout the game you get biomods which you can use to increase your abilities (walk softly, run faster, see through walls, etc.) Note: this is not a run 'n gun like Halo. Between each shooting part (which there are plenty of), you will be traveling the city and doing random things. Also, while some people who played Deus Ex 1 dislike the ''dumbed-down'' interface and leveling up, it makes it a lot less complicated and easier to jump into.

Final Thought---BUY!!!
This game is pretty long---around 20 hours. And the replay value is huge, as you can do everything so many ways, each with a different outcome. It's fun to just screw around with the physics engine. If you get one game this year, it must be Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/09/03