Review by coveblue1

"This game is so beautiful it's scary, oh and it's scary!"

This is my favorite new game. I am one of those casual gamers who buys a lot of games but usually only plays them a little. A game really has to grab me from the beginning to get me to stick with it. The last game to that was Prince of Persia Sands of Time. I have now abandoned that game for Deus Ex 2.

First of all, this game is a graphical marvel. I mean it's just gorgeous. You won't necessarily notice how beautiful at first. In the very beginning everything is clean and pretty. But when you go down to lower Seattle, that's where the graphics first really start to sink in. Everything is dirty and grimy. It looks absolutely convincing. My jaw has dropped several times. Playing this game reminds me of how I felt the first time I saw screen shots of Doom III. It is that far above any other game on the market.

Secondly, this game it tough. It might not seem that hard to a more committed gamer, but to a casual like me, it's very hard. I eventually learned to save the game before trying anything new. That has made the game a lot more fun. It's now like Sands of Time where I can try something risky and know that if it doesn't work I'm not screwed. If this game didn't have the save anywhere option, I don't think I would like it so much.

Next, this game is scary. It's not in your face scary, like Silent Hill or Resident Evil, but it's scare none-the-less. One reason it's so scary is how realistic the graphics are. It just seems so real that it's hard not to get wrapped up in the game world. Once you do, you feel the weight of uncertainty around every corner. It's also very dark and creepy. I'm telling you, I have to take a break every few hours because my chest is so tight.

I do have a few criticisms that keep me from giving it a perfect review, even though I love it. I don't like that it can take a dozen hits from a pistol to kill somebody, even head when you shoot them in the head. In the meanwhile, they are shooting you back and seem to be doing much more damage. I have figured out some tricks to get around this (crouch and club your opponent in the knee - they go down quickly to an ''unconscious'' state - you can then stand up and kill them with one shot), but it still seems like it makes the game slightly unrealistic and harder than it needs to be.

Also, the areas (I'm still in Seattle, so this isn't really fair) don't seem all that large. If you need to get to the So-And-So Apartments, they are usually up those stairs and around the corner. And you generally can't explore beyond the limited boundaries of the game world. So while the graphics and characters feel so real, the cities themselves do not. Of course, they might open up more in later levels, this is just my opinion from what I've played so far.

Anyway, my conclusion is - this game is consuming my life!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/10/03