Review by TypeONegative

"The best Xbox game so far"

Let me start off by saying that I have played many Xbox games, and that none have been as refreshing or unique as Deus Ex 2. The only game that even comes close to Deus Ex 2's greatness is Star Wars: KOTOR. Now, with that out of the way, on to the review.

Graphics: Outstanding. Everything in this game looks beautiful, in a dark, dreary cyberpunk kind of way. The character models are very detailed, and very realistic. The environments are very dark, gritty and futuristic, which is perfect for this game. The game also displays impressive lighting effects, exceeding those found in Splinter Cell. Knock a lamp over and watch as the shadows in the room move and change position. This is how realistic this game gets.

Sound: Excellent. Gunshots and explosions sound perfect, as do other things, such as footsteps. Where the sound really shines, though, is in the voice acting department. Every character in the game has excellent voice acting, and the lip synching is superb. The music in the game is also pretty good, with techno-ish songs playing in nightclubs and bars and ambient music while you are walking the streets.

Control: The basic dual analog FPS control scheme everyone is used to by now. It's great. I found no problems with it, and it's a scheme everyone is used to, so they'll have no trouble getting into it.

Story: This is one of the strongest aspects of the game. The story is full of sci-fi and conspiracy elements, just like the first game. The story is top notch, but unfortunately I don't want to say anything about it here, because I don't want to spoil anything. You'll just have to play it for yourself.

Gameplay: This game is an FPS/RPG hybrid. It doesn't play like your standard run and gun shooter, nor does it play like a traditional RPG. You can upgrade yourself with bio mods, which give you different abilities, and there are many solutions to every problem. There are also weapon mods, such as silencers and and mods that increase your rate of fire. There are also a number of datacubes and books to read, which will give you some background information and also help you in your quest. There is also a good selection of weapons, such as melee weapons, which include crowbars and riot batons, pistols, which include the Mako pistol and the bolt-caster, and rifles, including the sniper rifle and shotgun. Very excellent and original.

In conclusion, I consider Deus Ex 2 to be the best game on Xbox so far, and everyone should definitely play it.

Rent or buy? Buy. You won't regret it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/02/04