Review by oddmanout22287

"Could've been so much more..."

I remembered playing an online demo of Soldier of Fortune II a couple of years ago, and it was extremely fun, fast, and addictive. When I saw it was coming for Xbox, and Xbox Live, I got hyped. Then I rented it and... well, you'll see.

Graphics - 5/10
Meh. They get the job done... but barely. Bland dark textures are nothing special to look at. The characters aren't all that detailed. Everything's just... bland. Not pretty, not ugly... just meh. Also, the infamous GHOUL system that makes SOF2 so controversial (blowing off limbs, etc. etc.) looks... horrible. Body parts are jagged and do not look real at ALL. If the graphics were updated and the effects of the GHOUL system weren't so fake looking, this would easily raise the score one or two points, but the way they are now keeps it at mediocre.

Gameplay - 5/10
The A.I. on single player is downright stupid. The game relies on sheer numbers to defeat you by swarming you with 4 or 5 enemies at the same time. This doesn't sound like much to a Wolfenstein or Halo player, but in this game you can get blasted away quick. On some missions you get AI ''helpers'' who are even more retarded than the computer. On one of the earlier missions, you are escorted through the jungle by an elite group of marines... who apparently stand still and ignore a rebel that is standing above them capping them in the dome with an AK74. Yeah. This ''Elite marine squad'' turns the mission into an escort mission, seeing as if they die, you die. Also, if you go too far ahead, you ''jeopardize the mission'' and die instantly. Yeah. A note to developers - ESCORT MISSIONS SUCK.
Play on Live is an okay time, but nothing special. It feels too damn slow, as if you're plodding along like an overweight 50-something man instead of a counter-terrorist or a rebel out to spill some capitalist pig blood. There is a variety of gametypes, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, CTF, etc. The only one I really enjoy is inflitration, where one team has to steal and objective and the other has to protect it. It's fun as it requires alot more teamwork than the other modes.

Sound - 8/10
The gunfire sounds great, and the voices are good. Not much else to say here.

Replayability - 6/10
There's really not much here, especially if you don't have Live. With Live it's okay, but gets old fast, especially if you can't find any pubs with people who actually play on teams. The multiplayer is nothing special, and its replayability is marked down even more for a lack of offline multiplayer.

Overall - 6/10
Could've been so much more... le sigh. I'd reccomend a rent b/c it seems alot of people love this game, and more power to them. But this one just let me down. See you serverside.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 06/23/03, Updated 06/23/03