Review by simsman24000

"A disappointing transfer from the television to the console."

Graphics - 8/10
The graphics in this game are hard to judge because the action goes by so fast. Of course, when you are not beating the stuffing out of your opponent, you can see the well-crafted characters and the great detail that makes them look very close to their real-life counterparts. The graphics of the character models are very well reflective off of the Claymation in the T.V. show. In fact, at times it felt like I was really playing the show because it felt so real. However, the backgrounds could have been better, as well as some of the ''moves'' demonstrated by some characters. For example, Anna Nicole Smith squirts milk out from her *ahem*, yet those graphics are not up to par with the rest in the game. However, overall, the graphics are pretty good.

Controls - 6/10
With no tutorial or instructions, you're sent into your first match, clueless of what to do. This game is a button masher, though, so even if you do end up figuring them out, I highly doubt you'd use them. Half the time, I found myself simply pressing whatever I could in order to rip off the legs of Carrot Top.

Gameplay - 7/10
There are two main forms of gameplay in Deathmatch: Episode and, well, Deathmatch. In Episode, you are given three ''episodes'', each with three different matches of random character match-ups, and have the opportunity to unlock characters/stages/more episodes. In total, there are six episodes (three standard, three unlockable). Not a strong point of the game. However, the Deathmatch (multiplayer) is incredibly fun. If you don't like the Episode format, you can either play against the computer or a friend. Great fun for a party (but only if the guests are very patient).

Sound - 7/10
Many of the celebrities voices are clearly impersonated. In fact, Tommy Lee sounds like a mixture between a monkey and Bobcat Goldthwait. Throughout the game, you have the commentators (Nick and Johnny) shouting funny quips, as well as the fighters dissing the other person. Quite funny, if you ask me. As for the background music...I wouldn't be able to tell you. It's so insignificant that I can't even remember it off of the top of my head.

Replayability - 9/10
It's a wrestling game, so obviously you can replay it over and over and not get tired of it. However, even if you do, you will, in fact, get tired of it. Many celebrities get old after you fight them a couple of times. This is sort of made up for by the Create-A-Celebrity feature, in which you can customize your own. Also, you can select from 10 difficulties for the computer for Episode or Deathmatch, so as you get better, you'll be able to fight harder opponents.

Rent or Buy - N/A
I can't tell you to rent or buy this game, simply because I got such a bargain for it. I got this for $20.00 at a store, and I can say that this is a great deal for that price. So here's what I'll tell you: If the game is $20.00 or if you're a fan of the show, buy it. If it's more than that price or you're just interested in beating up the guys from N*Sync, you're better off renting it.

Overall - 7/10
While the game is not incredibly bad, I'm sure you could verify with me that there are certainly many more features that could have been added. More items, perhaps, better controls, the ability to go out of the arena...I can see many improvements with this game. If Gotham Games does in fact make a sequel to this game, I can only suggest MORE characters, better character moves, and more ''episodes''. Otherwise, this is a fun game, and can give you lots of laughs.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/29/03