Review by Mech Master

"Something Has to Suck About This Game"

Now why can't all other action games be as polished as this? I'll tell You why. It is because those ''other'' games don't have a good developement team behind them. Well, Crystal Dynamics doesn't have that sort of problem. All of the previous Legacy of Kain games have been good. But I have to tell you, Legacy of Kain: Defiace really shows the talent over at Crystal Dynamics. This game has amazing graphics, one of the best stories in a video game, and the BEST level design ever. How could you go wrong with this game? Sure it might not have much replay value, but this game is one of the best action/adventure games I have ever played.

STORY:10
If you haven't played the Soul Reaver games, you may not know what the hell is going on. So if you haven't played any Soul Reaver games, go play them before playing this. Things will seem so much clearer. For the people who have played past Soul Reaver games, you are in for a real treat. I am not even going to attempt to tell this game's story. I don't have that sort of time (lol). Yes, this is a long story. Very long. It is good though. This game's story is just amazing. There aren't that many games these days that have stories as interesting as this. If you play this, you will be completely drawn in by the story. Trust me.

GRAPHICS:10
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Holy crap these graphics are good. I have seen some pretty good looking games before, but DAMN! It is hard to believe that graphics have gotten this since the last Soul Reaver. That was only two years ago also. The difference is like Splinter Cell is to Tetris. That is a big difference. The lighting in this game is great. It is almost as good as Splinter Cell's and the upcoming Doom III. The framerate never drops. It is as smooth as silk. All of the character models look very good. They don't look blocky or anything. Everything looks good...well, almost. The textures in this game look pretty bad. That's only some, but the ones that do look bad are BAAAAAD! The water also doesn't look as good as other games' water. Despite those little flaws the graphics are amazing.

SOUND:10
The audio is one of the things that really adds to the interesting story. The voice actors really contribute so much to this game. So you know there is good voice acting. But is there good music too? You better believe it. All of the music makes this game seem really creepy which is a good thing. The music is done great. It never gets repetitive at all. All of the sound effects are just as good as everything else. I did find that there were some missing sound effects at times, but that really isn't a big deal. Oh I have one more thing to add. When you throw an enemy soldier off a bridge or something with telekinesis and you hear him scream it is just so funny and satisfying to hear.

GAMEPLAY:9
Most other action/adventure games would probably get an eight or a seven from me because they are usually too repetitive. Legacy of Kain: Defiance has so much depth to it. This game's level design is what really gets this game that ten out of ten. Without the great level design this game would have probably got a nine, but since this game does have such great level design it gets a ten. Each level has a breathtaking amount of detail put into it. That isn't the only good thing about this game though. The actual gameplay itself is really good. You play as two characters. So you never feel like you are doing the same thing over and over. Each character has an intertwining story with the other. Anyways, you are either a vampire or a sort of demonic vampire that feeds on souls instead of blood. Throughout each level you kill enemies and solve puzzles. I bet that sounds really generic and boring, but it isn't. Each character also has more than fifteen powerups throughout the game. You also have telekinesis which means you can through enemies into fire, impale enemies through spikes, and throw them off high buildings or bridges. There is much more to the game, but I think you can comprehend how good this game is.

CONTROL:8
The control is the worst part of the whole game. That isn't really bad though. The camera is the reason the controls get an eight. They are fixed , but they do move around to an extent unlike Devil May Cry. You can also go into first person mode to take a look around which is nice. Obstacles might block your view from important things at times during fights, but it won't cause you to lose the fight though. A is jump/fly. X is attack/action button. Y is attack. B is telekinesis (so is the black button) The R trigger is drink blood/absorb soul. The left trigger is to manually switch to combat mode. And everbody knows the basic movement controls.

OVERALL:10
Crystal Dynamics proves that they are just as good a developement team as Sega or Naughty Dog. They are good. Crystal Dynamics has made a fine example of how to make an action/adventure game. Legacy of Kain: Defiance is definitely worth owning unless you are the type of person who doesn't play their games over and over. In that case, rent it. Now hopefully, they make the next Tomb Raider as good as this.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/16/03