Review by sonicgenki

"This game will suck the social life out of you..much like the blood from Kain's enemies"

Being a fan of the Legacy of Kain series and having followed their evolution throughout the years, it was a very natural choice for me to purchase Legacy of Kain:Definance. It comes very close to being the perfect Legacy of Kain experience.

Gameplay: 9

The game plays brilliantly. LOK:D is a marriage of Devil May Cry inspired battle while still maintaining the feel of puzzle solving and exploration of the previous chapters. Kain and Raziel Both control fairly similar and changing back and forth between them throughout the game keeps it fresh and exciting. Kain and Raziel both weild their reavers (Kain the actual blade, Raziel the Reavers energy in his arm) and control basically the same in battle. They can slice, dice and chop their way through enemies and then use finishing moves to either drain their blood or suck their soul! Also they can use telekenisis to throw enemies into spikes, fires or over cliffs and off ledges. This gives a feeling of great control and power over enemies.

Kains portions of the game focus more on battles and fighting enemies while Raziels is more exploration and puzzle based. The level design is wonderfully creative which is always the norm in LOK games.

Graphics:9

The graphics are outstanding. They are extremely well textured. The lighting and shadowing is perfectly atmospheric. The character models are gorgeous and the framerate is locked at a solid 60fps and it never, ever, ever, ever drops below 60fps. I will even go as far to say that these are some of the best graphics I have seen on the xbox (Most likely the only other game company to have games this gorgeous is Team Ninja). They just look that good. I played this game on a 32 inch widescreen HDTV and it looks astonishing thanks to the game supporting both widescreen and 480p resolution.

There is only two minor, minor gripes that I have with the graphics that prevent this from getting a 10 in the graphics department.

1. There are some minor collison detection and clipping issues later in the game. These are few and far between but noticable

2. The DMC camera or stationary camera angles get in the way of the action on a few occasions and I couldn't see what I was fighting. One time there was a pole in the way and the action was happening beyond the pole. Most games would make the pole transparent, this one didn't.

This is really nit picking because this game is a beautie!

Sound 9

Of course, the voice acting is top notch. All the original voice actors are back to provide hollywood style voice overs which add a great depth and dimension to the story and feel of the game. Music is very atmospheric and sounds great. Sound effects are great as well. The spectral realm screams and psycotic wispers of ''There is no hope'' ect. really send a shiver down your spine.

Story: 9

I won't ruin anything for you, all I am going to say is that it ties up some loose ends and fills in some blanks. Well done.

And of course the cinematics that are used to tell the story are well done yet again.

Overall 9

Another well done LOK game that is a welcome addition to any action/adventure gamers library.

And for gamers who are new to the series, there is video of the 1st and 2nd games in the series so it does get you up to speed.

Buying this game is a no-brainer for me. 15-20 hours of gameplay, amazing graphics, amazing story.

Remember that as with any game, renting is a good option if you are not 100% sure.

It is very rare that I will just buy a game without renting. I did that with LOK:D. And it is very rare that developers pour their heart and soul into a game like this, and it shows in defiance. Perhaps they even poured a bit of their blood into this game as well!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/17/03