Review by maliki

"Sometimes a game actually lives up to the hype!"

Legacy of Kain:Defiance is definitely the best game of the series. The story is great, graphics greater, and gameplay sweet (a la DMC). The only downfall is a SOMETIMES buggy camera, but it isn't as bad as haters try to make it be.

GRAPHICS: 10/10
The graphics for this game are sweet. Fluid motion and barely any clipping (There is some, but very very little) make this a very nice game to look at. The only clipping I have come across is a few in-walls. But they can almost always be maneuvered out of.

The gameplay is very reminiscent of DMC, but thats only a + in my book. I loved DMC's fighting, and this takes it and adds more, including Telekenisis (TK), which is done very nicely. The mid-air combos and TK blasts are fun to play around with. Throwing an enemy ten feet from you over a ledge twenty feet above you is very rewarding. Hearing their screams as they fall is like icing on the cake.

It's a LOK game, there's not much more to be said. Vampires, Time Travel, Mass-Murder, Wraiths, Gods, Nosgoth...Who needs more? For the underlying story....Kain is a vampire, considered king of them, that had a choice to save Nosgoth by killing himself, or not. He chose the latter. Later he made lieutenants, one being Raziel. Raziel evolved before Kain so Kain ripped his wings off and through him in a Lake, water being acid to vampires. Raziel was saved by the Elder God, and now he is a Wraith, traveling in and out of the ''Dead'' Spectral realm and the material realm.....searching for vengeance, Kain.

Replay Value: ?/?
If you love/like the game, and beat it, you'll play it again, if you don't, you won't, thats all there is to any replay value out there for any game....There's not alot of secrets that I know of, so replay value may not be all that great in this game unless you happen to be a very hard-core fan of LOK.

The only complaint I have with this game is the camera, as many others also complain about it. It isn't THAT bad at all. It can get alittle funky sometimes but thats about all. Nothing to keep you from playing this great, great game. They could have done alot of things better with this though. The right analog controls the camera, but you can only ''swing'' it so far, not a 360 degrees camera like previous LOK's. Sometimes you will lose sight of the character behind pillars or doors or walls, but very little and it's never that big of a problem, just move away from the object blocking the camera.

OVERALL 8/10
I very rarely give games 10/10, 9/10 being almost perfect to me, 10/10 being NOTHING WRONG everything PERFECT. So if 9/10 is ALMOST perfect, then 8/10 is VERY VERY VERY VERY good. Definitely worth a few rents if you absolutely must. But for any LOK fan out there, big or small, addicted or casual, this is a buy.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/29/03