Review by Innocent Blood

"Stealing has never been THIS fun."

As I read the preview for Thief: Deadly Shadows in my Monthly GamePro, The words "Must...have..!" repeated over and over in my mind.

A few months later, I'm sitting down playing one of the most enjoyable games I have played in a long time.

Very well done. Character detail is amazing, right down to wrinkles on Garett's face. Each light source such as a torch, or fireplace causes ANY nearby object to cast a perfect shadow. Lip-syncing is extremely accurate.

I could go on and on about how great it is, but lucky for you I only have so much space. While the voices are limited, each type of character has a unique dialog set. Some even stop and talk to each other about various events to come/ have happened. Regarding the situation, the types of dialog vary.

Fun Factor: 10/10

You can mug people, Break and Enter, Render people unconscious, steal from homes, backstab, and pickpocket people just to name a few fun things to do. The stealth is extremely well done, as you constantly find yourself looking for a potentially safe place to hide. Dead guards let out a scream of some sort when killed, which can alert other guards nearby. People also leave blood around when killed, which can be cleaned up to avoid suspicion from patrols. Need some money for arrows? Walk the streets and steal from people and houses for the needed cash!

This is the ONLY place where the game loses its shine of brilliance. And that reason is, unfortunately, BUGS, the most annoying of them being freezes at the most unwanted times. The other anger-inducing bug is the frequent loss of sound. Other then that, the gameplay is enjoyable and addicting.

Summary: 9/10

The only flaw I found in the game was the bugs. Other then that, the game is extremely enjoyable, allowing you to use your free time when not on missions to be a "taffer", or criminal.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/30/04