Review by Insurrection06

"Thief 3 is to Medieval what Splinter Cell is to Modern."

I rented this today, and having never played either of its predecessors, I am pleased to say this is one is worth it to the newcomer to the series. The graphics, sound, and AI are top notch, and the controls and gameplay are tight and sweet.

These are quality, quality graphics, on par with Doom3, which came out much later. The gritty medieval environment and the character models themselves are all relayed perfectly and set the eerie mood for the game's dark subject matter.

The sound effects are right on, and the music is haunting when present. The only problem is some of the voice actors are, well, just sort of goofy. They all do well on their linds but some are just goofy. It is also a subtle effect that each faction (and maybe even each type of enemy within that faction) has their own set of lines. Throwing a flash bomb might cause one person to go "Ah! I'm blinded!" but another would go "By the gods! I cannot see!" and still others will say different things.

The stealth gameplay in Thief 3 is top notch, and it controls tightly. Garret can sneak, run, jump, stealth kill, and perform somewhat daring feats of acrobatics with ease. The AI of the people in the game is simply amazing. The guards can notice differences as big as a door left opened or a torch put out, or as small as a small trinket missing from a table, and they will actively search for you for quite a while, and if they can't find you, they will eventually settle into a patrol, rationalizing that you are probably "miles away by now." To bad for them you're right behind them with a knife. Thief 3 is one of the few stealth games (along with Splinter Cell) that forces you to be stealthy or face the consequences. The only weapons you will have through the course of the game are a knife and a club as well as a trusty bow. These are not exactly the most efficient of killing weapons, as getting caught once will likely make known.

All in all, Thief: Deadly Shadows is an excellent game, and one that deserves a spot in gaming halls of glory.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/10/05