"A Fine Addition To The Original"

The sequel to 2001's Max Payne, this third person shooter picks up where the original left off. In a nutshell, you're a cop who doesn't play by the rules, out to settle a score of your own. I don't want to say anything else, for fear of spoiling what turns out to be a great story for a shooting game.

Gameplay

Smooth gameplay, no complaints here. Several different difficulty levels, so the game can be enjoyed by just about any level of gamer.
The controls were...well, perfect, since you can set them however you want. That's right, fully customizable controls.
This game is absolutely fun to play, as well. A good number of different weapons, varying scenarios, and of course the popular ''bullet time'' effect all combine to immerse you in an action packed universe.
Even when being ambushed by numerous foes, the action is manageable and fun.

Story

Great engaging story for this game. As I mentioned earlier, this game picks up where the original ended. The story is deep, and full of revenge, betrayal, and love. In my experience, one of the best stories for a ''straightforward'' action game.

Graphics/Sound

Graphics are...well, pretty much the same as the first Max Payne game. The faces have been cleaned up a little, and overall the look is smoother. The inclusion of rag doll physics in this game also makes for a much more impressive display.
As far as sound; no complaints here. Gunshots sound nice, ambient effects all sound good, and competent voice actors make for a nice listen.

Play Time/Replayability

My only real complaint with this game is it's length. It's not that long of a game. Seemed a good deal shorter than the original, but maybe it just seemed short because I wanted it to go on. Good amount of levels to traverse, but overall it felt like the game ended prematurely.
Replayabilty is moderately high, since several different difficulties of play can be unlocked.

Overall

Overall, this game is simply fun to play. A third person shooter, it offers fully customizable controls, a good selection of weaponry, and a compelling story that you'll want to see finished. The only thing wrong with it is that it can be beat in a short amount of time. Because of this, you may just want to rent it. If, on the other hand, you're looking for one of the best shooting games out there to keep handy, I definitely recommend purchasing this game posthaste.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/13/04