Review by Antpants

"Balls to the wall action. This is one sweet Star Wars game!"

I've just finished playing Star Wars:RC and I have to say that this game is one SWEET game! Thanks to all recommended it. Here are some thoughts on the game. This may contain minor gameplay SPOILERS, but probably won't.

Graphics: 8.0/10 - RC has solid graphics. The environment is varied and the enemies have an amazing metallic appearance. Weapons effects are great and the environments are spacious and varied enough. The character animations are done extremely well and the damage that you inflict on the enemy is varied and quite satisfying. Enemies have a pleasing metallic sheen to them.

Audio 9.5/10 - This game has amazing audio. It gives you the usual SW feel (without as much traditional music), but the chatter amongst your comrades is excellent and entertaining. The 5.1 is worked very well, so if you have a surround system, you'll enjoy it that much more. The traditional music score kicks in every once in a while, but the variation in music in this game is quite refreshing, given the almost standard orchestral sequence that all Star Wars games takes on.

Story 7/10 - The story, while passable, isn't the greatest thing about this game. I found myself just wanting to plow through enemies, rather than know what was going on. In truth, I paid little attention at all to the plot. The constant banter between your squad mates certainly does help you feel a part of the story and not just a spectator, but action is truly what drives this game.

Gameplay 9/10 - The gameplay is BALLS TO THE WALL stuff, meaning you will shoot, shoot and shoot more! The action is excellent and the game obviously went through a good run of QA to fine tune the difficulty. The balance of the game is almost perfect, and it feels that way in the way the combat plays out. Your defensive AI is SOLID - only a handful of games on this system really get it right. This is one of them. You are able to assign your squad mates to sniping, grenade, trap setting or demolition duties. It is easy as pie to do it. This is a squad game the way I like it. One button assigns them to positions, and you really can't go wrong as long as you keep them in line and healthy.

The only thing I would have appreciated was having weapons just a little stronger. Not a lot though. As far as difficulty goes, this game can bottleneck you in some places, but not for long. The save structure is great and at it's toughest, you will learn new tactics through a bit of trial and error. You never feel like the odds are completely stacked against you. While you might find yourself stuck in certain levels, all it really takes is a change of strategy and a bit more trial and error to further improve your odds. There are many ways to clear your objectives in most scenarios.

I know that there are a lot of KOTOR fans out there, and I'm not knocking the game, but this game is the best Star Wars game for this console. I had an amazing time for the last 3 days and have to recommend it to all Xbox FPS fans.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/29/06