Review by Patriotwolf

"Every bit as fun as the original, but not without it's quirks."

Ok, let my start off by saying there was quite a bit of hype surrounding the game. Did it live up to it? Read on..

The original Splinter cell had some of the best graphics in a videogame; the gameplay was tense and fun. With (Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow), UBISoft is looking to push Splinter Cell to new heights. And its every bit as fun as the original.

Graphics-10/10: Even better than the original. Seeing yourself in mirrors is a nice touch, and the larger levels don't suffer from any graphical degradation. Sam Fisher has been given a makeover. He face has been changed, as has his hair. And his weapons look less like plastic than the original.

Gameplay-10/10: The gameplay is just as tense as the original. Sneaking up on guards, even when its not necessary, and knocking them out is just as fun, and a few new gameplay elements are in as well. The majority of the time, you won't be using lethal force. But this makes the game that much more challenging on the higher difficulties.

Sound-9/10: A few of the sounds are recycled, and I could have sworn they took a few effects from Rainbow Six 3 (another game I highly recommend). But Sam makes up for it with his witty remarks. In one instance, Lambert asks Sam to “Find me some French brains.” To which Sam responds, “I can’t promise you anything.” Overall though, the sound is great.

Multiplayer-8/10: This is what everyone was anticipating, but as it seems, it didn’t quite go over for me in certain areas. I found out that to separate teams worked on the game, one on single player, and one on multiplayer . This, I can understand as it helped the game get finished faster, but whether are not was the best choice… Personally, I was expecting the multiplayer levels to be more like the single player ones. However, the multiplayer levels are more linear, which is something that disappointed me a bit. The three game modes also seem a bit too similar and everyone just plays neutralization most of the time anyway. Hopefully new levels that come along won’t be so much that way. However, I do like, on certain levels, how mercenaries may have a better advantage, like the Warehouse. While on the Vertigo Plaza level, do to its size, it gives the spies an advantage. For whatever reason it seems, the controls for multiplayer are different from single player. Regardless, the multiplayer is fun and playing humans rather than A.I. adds a whole new element to the mix. Which keeps in fresh.

Replay value-9/10: How could you question a games replay value if it has content download? Although, I must admit, we will have to see what they add for single player, content download for multiplayer makes the game pretty much limitless. However, since more people are learning the levels, UBI is going to have to keep the levels coming at a more steady pace than other games to keep it from getting to predictable I think.

Overall- (Not an average)-9/10: This game is FUN, not doubt about it. But like most games, it’s not without its quirks. Personally, if you’re a fan of the original, I say go for it. But if you more of a fast paced First person shooter type, I say rent before you buy. Because going from say Unreal or even Rainbow Six 3, to this game is a big differences. I was almost pressed to actually giving this game an 8/10, but decided against it in the end. With that in mind, it’s a great game, but it may not be everyone’s cup of tea.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/31/04