Review by Roguesquad6

"Read the book. Watch the film. Donít buy the game."

It's cheap! But remember kids you get what you pay for! The first five minutes are alright until you start to realize that you've actually experienced everything this game has to offer. Oh and the soundtrack is from the film so that's a plus. As for anything else...hm...nope, can't think of anything.

OK, before I demolish this game I want to set the record straight. I'm a big fan of Fight Club, the book and the film, even the soundtracks just superb. So when I saw this game on the market my hopes weren't all that high. I figured it was a cynical attempt by a company to cash in on the popular appeal of Fight Club, so I steered well away. One day I see it in the bargain basket so I buy it just to see if it's as bad as I thought it would be. In all fairness it wasn't as bad as I had thought, it was much, much worse. After your first fight, there's the second which was very like the first. Then there's the third which surprisingly is like the previous two. See where I'm going here? As for the much lauded body and bone damage all I can say is overrated. There's only a few occasions where it comes into play and once you've broken someone's leg, arm or back 50 times and seen the same slow-motion sequence well it all begins to loose its impact. Don't even get me started on the "Story mode". Seems to me that it was a developer's afterthought and a very bad afterthought at that.

Fight Club, the game, is a product of four or five brain storming sessions. The makers of this game take the basic premise of the book/film, the physical Fight Club part and well… that's pretty much it. Everything else that made Fight Club what it was; the moral ambiguities, the twisted philosophies, warped logic and some truly great speeches are discarded to make a sub-standard and unimaginative beat-em up which Street Fighter II would surpass. In fact the only things brought from the movie are the music and some of the settings. You could argue that the characters are transferred but to be honest they are just cardboard cut-outs of the originals. One of the strangest things about this game is that as a movie inspired game, its main audience will be fans of the book/movie. Yet this game makes such an unadulterated mess out of Fight Club's main themes and characters it can only alienate them. If you don't believe me watch the ending for the narrator's (“Jack's”) character, picnics with Marla? Somehow that just doesn't fit with the Fight Club I know...

Reviewer's Score: 1/10 | Originally Posted: 01/14/09

Game Release: Fight Club (US, 11/16/04)