Review by Askirk

"I Was Overwhelmed"

First of all I haven't had a Mortal Kombat game since MK4. I believed MK 4 was way too hard for me do I didn't think that I'd even bother with any other game from the series. A friend of mine loves Mortal Kombat and talked me into looking at some videos, screen shots, etc... While I was looking up some Fatalities for him. I thought this would be really cool to check out so here I go with another Mortal Kombat game. I should also mention I have this for Xbox Kollector's Edition.
Graphics:

Graphics are superb for a fighting game or any other game as long as you're in the Kombat, Chess, and Puzzle mode. The main part of Konquest mode's graphics look a little like BloodRayne 1 but a little better. I would assume since the rest of the game had great graphics they had to leave a little out somewhere but none the less, it's still a great part of the MK game. We'll get to Konquest later...

Game play:

Game play for me is a little difficult, since I am very much a novice with the game. Some of the combos will take a lot of practice to pull off. For example Sub Zero had a changing style combo (you'll understand if you buy or rent this game) where you're hitting like 3 buttons pulling a trigger hitting back and two buttons with a pause in the middle. Like I said, I am a novice so this was difficult for me. For true blue fans of this series combos and regular game play should be a breeze. There is also a lot to remember in this one. MK: Deception has a lot of fighters and all of them have different movies, combos, special movies, and fatalities, not to mention the ones where you can kill yourself instead of being executed by your opponent.

Konquest Mode:

This is a great twist to a fighting game. I do not own a lot of fighting titles so I have never seen anything like this before. You have a character named Sujinko and when you start he's around 13 years old. You get training from many different fighters in this game and it is also where you get most of your unlockables too. You are endowed with a power to mimic other fighters and you meet most of them during your travels and learn their styles. This serves as a great training exercise for the Kombat mode in the game. I don't want to spoil the story so I'm going to leave this as is.

Chess and Puzzle Kombat:

This is really interesting, or it was to me anyway. Imagine playing chess and not being able to take pieces from the board just by taking their square. In Chess Kombat you must fight the piece for your place on the board. You also have spells to cast that can resurrect, teleport, heal, or protect your pieces as well. Just Chess with a Mortal Kombat twist. This is one of the main reasons I bought the game.
Puzzle Kombat is a lot like Dr. Mario in the sense that you have to match up colors and break them down with koins. Once your opponent's puzzle box fills up your character will do some kind of fatality. Whether it's dropping an anvil on the other fighter or throwing them into a pillar of spikes. It's cool none the less.

Special Edition for Xbox:

With the purchase of the Special Edition for the Xbox you will receive a copy of the first Mortal Kombat game with, you guessed it, with BLOOD!!! Remember the Super Nintendo version of this game where you hit someone and it looked like sand or sweat coming out of their heads. Not anymore you get the red stuff now. Only thing about it is... It's HARD!!! When Midway said you get a perfect arcade version of Mortal Kombat they was not lying. It has one setting and you can't change it like you could on the old console games. But a great piece of MK history none the less. You also get some videos as well about the fighters of the past and present.

Replay Ability:

You have so much stuff to unlock in this game. I believe that I counted 400 items to unlock. Ranging from production photos, character photos, a sexy Mileena photo, videos about the making of some of the old characters from the other games like Sindel and Sonya Blade, Puzzle Kombat characters, hidden playable kombat characters (EX, Jade, Havick, Lui Kang, Raiden, Tanya (MK4) and others). So even if you play this game nonstop you'll still be busy for a few days at least. But that's just for unlocking everything. It will probably take me months to master my favorite fighters.

Buy or Rent:

If you're skeptical about what I've said go rent it. But after you do and see I'm not a liar :). Get the Kollector's Edition for the Xbox. The Xbox version should load faster and you don't have to worry about buying a memory card for it either. Also with the Kollector's Edition you get a box cover with four different characters. Mileena, Sub Zero, Baraka, and Scorpion, AND you'll get MK 1 to boot. Trust me it's worth the extra 10 bucks.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/11/04