Review by InfernalColonel

"Get over here!"

I was very excited when I heard that Mortal Kombat was coming to xbox. I was never a fighting fan until I played Mortal Kombat. After spending a few days with just me and my xbox I decided to write a review.

Now the graphics are pretty good, in kombat and chess kombat. There you can see cracks in the floor after you smash your opponent into them. There are trickles of blood rolling down you or your opponent after you hit them. You can even see little facial expressions on some of the characters. Now the graphics aren't great in all the modes. Konquest mode's graphics are terrible. The environments are bland, the characters are pathetically detailed, and they don't even have any figures. They look like giant polygons with no detail put into each individual part. Overall the graphics are good, but not amazing.

Story: 8/ 10
Now who can remember a good fighting story? Any ways the story is pretty interesting. It's a little confusing with all the realms and people, so you will probably have to keep track of what you're watching. Overall though its pretty interesting and enough to keep you unlocking all the endings.

Fighting games have never been famous for there music. This is no exception. The music is so generic and forgetful, that you will probably forget your even listening to it. The sound effects are merely average. There are a lot of grunts and groans and nothing too spectacular. The voice overs are horrible to say the least. They sound like politicians reading a script. I did like some of the sound effects. The weapons and environments are particularly well done. The sound is pretty generic and passable at best.

Now to the most important part, gameplay! The fighting system is very robust. Each of the characters are diverse and fun. They all have three different fighting styles which adds much more depth to the game. Also you will rack your brain remembering all the cool combos. Chess kombat is a fun twist on regular chess (so if your great at chess, doesn't necessarily mean you will win) Puzzle Kombat is basically super puzzle fighter 2, which is a good thing. It's ridiculously fun and addictive. On top of all that all these modes are online! That's right you no longer have to invite a friend over to play. Online mode is fun, but it has its problems. Games take forever to join, the ranking system is confusing, and, if you're listening through speakers, it's almost impossible to hear your opponent during gameplay. Also I didn't mention Konquest mode. Konquest mode is a single player RPG (kind of) It's a chore to play. All you do is go from point A to point B while (occasionally) learning moves for a character. Other problems are some of the combos are robotic, a lot of environments are bland, and there is only a few interesting characters. These are only minor blemishes on an amazing game.

Replayablity: 9/10
It has a great online mode (that does get old after a while) twenty four characters (some unlockable) seventy two fatalities, and over one hundred different unlockables, a twenty hour Konquest mode, this is one game that you won't beat over a weekend.

Rent or buy: Buy
With fun gameplay, good graphics (for the most part), a ton of replayablity, and a host of different modes, even if your not a fighting fan you will enjoy this game. If you have the choice, buy the Kollectors edition because it has a DVD like making of, and an Arcade perfect version of the original Mortal Kombat.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/20/04