Review by blindhobo

"Blood...Good!!!"

Anybody remember the old days where you would go down to the arcades and spend all your quarters on a game? The game I would spend my quarters on was Mortal Kombat. I loved that game. When Mortal Kombat Deception came out, I bought it and loved it. I would always get excited when the screen goes black and the character does a fatality or hara-kiri.

The graphics are great and blood is everywhere in this game. The animations are smooth and there is no slow down. Although the graphics in Konquest mode are not as high as in fights, it is bearable.

The gameplay is awesome. Style branching combos and special moves are especially cool. The combo breakers also work well. There is obviously return of Arcade mode, which is always fun. Konquest mode is where you run around as Shujinko and do quests, training, and find keys to unlock special items in the Krypt like characters and arenas. The problem I had in Konquest was that sometimes, it was kind of the same thing over and over again. Such as, go find something for me, retrieve this item, and defeat someone. This time, Midway also added Puzzle and Chess modes. Chess modes more fun than I expected, adding a Mortal Kombat twist to chess where if you attempt to take a piece, the piece gets a chance to defend themselves. Puzzle Kombat was like I expected. Fatalities are very bloody and some are even funny, and so are the Hara-Kiris.

For the first time, there is online play. Online play is fun with limitless opponents around the world. It is smooth and there is fast gameplay which is always good.

The music is okay and fits the stages, and the "finish him/her" is always good to listen to. The voice acting is mainly screaming,yelling, limbs breaking and crunching of bones. Although the voice actors in Konquest sounded like robots.

The replay value is very high in this game. This is what fighting games are about. In Deadly Alliance, the Krypt had too many koffins from AA to ZZ. Some of them were even empty which really pissed me off. The krypt is greatly improved me in this game as it goes from only AA to TT, and there are no empty koffins. It has so many unlockables ranging from characters, arenas, photos, movies, and character bios. You will also love getting all your friends together, and then beating the crap out of them.

Overall, if you are a Mortal Kombat or fighting game fan, you should definitely get this game. If you don't, you'll be missing out on one of the most enjoyable fighting games on the consoles so far. You will not regret it. On the other hand, if you don't like Mortal Kombat or fighting games, you wouldn't even go near this game. The only other reason you would say that you wouldn't buy this game is that you don't like all the blood. Fear not, for you can always turn down or turn off the blood if you think it is getting a bit extreme. Although, Mortal Kombat isn't Mortal Kombat without blood. I remember Mortal Kombat as the game where you punch the guy once, and he bleeds everywhere. Hopefully, you will also remember it as this and so much more.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/20/05