Review by haloexpert2003

"Excellent Military Shooter"

Ghost Recon 2

Background: This is the sequel to the popular military FPS Ghost Recon and Ghost Recon: Island Thunder. GR2 retains most of its predecessors traits, but adds a few new, delightful bonuses.

Ubisoft and Red Storm Ent. came up with superb graphics. Action is smooth, environments are highly detailed, characters and weapons are detailed really well, and the overall experience is really nice. The environment, with the exception of the tree foliage, is really well done. Grass sways in the breeze and as you walk through it, and nearby boulders and walls are pierced and scarred when bullets are pounded into their surface. Characters are detailed immensely, as you can see with your team on the field. So are your weapons; if you find a fallen enemies gun on the ground, take a second to look at it. You'll find it to look very similar to the real weapon.

Sound/Score/Dialogue: 10/10
The sound and soundtrack for this game was really done well. You'll hear bullets whizzing by you and striking your surroundings as you overhear the frantic cries of your enemies in the heat of a firefight. The score was also done very well. You hear music appropriate for the situation, and no music when your main objective is stealth. The dialogue was also quite good, especially in the field; consisting mostly of witty replies to an enemies death or concern for a wounded comrade.

I enjoyed the control layout of this game a lot. The only quirk I found was the odd Y button configuration for commands. But, you can bypass this with a Xbox Live headset, where you input commands via voice instead of your controller. Other than that, everything was right where I needed it. Standard R Trigger for firing, and a nice touch that allows you to bring up the Map with a tug of the L Trigger.

Immersion: 10/10
You really feel that you're in the middle of a firefight when it occurs in the game. You automatically seek higher ground or more cover when the bullets start flying. Also, before the mission begins, it's *laid out* before in an episode of "Modern Heroes", a TV show starring Will Jacobs; for those of you who don't know, he was a Ghost once. Anyway, your mission is laid out before you actually begin, with members of your team commenting on the mission and its main points.

Replay: 9/10
You can play this game over and over for weeks before getting bored. Random enemy placement along with endless weapon combinations add for a huge amount of replayability.

Fun Factor: 10/10
This game is REALLY fun. Maybe not so much as fun as Halo 2 or Unreal Championship's run 'n gun style, but fun nonetheless. I mean, who WOULDN'T want to plant a few bullets into some avid enemy trying to kill you?

This game was immensely fun for me, but I sorely missed the lack of weapon unlockables and character development like GR and GR:IT had. While Ubisoft made a beautiful game, there are still a few things for them to improve.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/29/05