Review by GoldGolem634

"Welcome to WWII"

I've been following this game since it was first announced here on GameFAQS. At first, it looked like a generic Medal of Honor or Call of Duty rip-off. You know that kind of game, kill the German and Japanese soldiers during the ENTIRE game. Well, those thoughts were completely wrong.

Gameplay 10/10: Although most of the game does involve killing German soldiers, there are other elements. You must strategize to win battles. In Brothers in Arms, you are given a fire and assault team, during the progression of the game. The fire team normally consists of a three man group that gives cover, or suppression, fire. While they do this, you, or your assault team, go in for the kill. In some levels, you must also protect things like buildings or tanks.

Aiming your weapon in this game can be difficult. There are cross-hairs that can be turned on, but they are not very helpful. Most of the time, you will want to use the actual sight on the gun. Throwing grenades is also very difficult and requires practice to use(but the effects of a good hit are great)

Graphics 9/10: The graphics in this game are good, but not extremely exceptional. The guns look as they should. when hit by grenades, tank rounds, or mortars, soldiers limbs come off, leaving a nice, red stump in its place. That is about as gruesome or gory as it gets, though. Environments look realistic and wonderful, making it seem like you are there. The only bad things, in my opinion, are the human models. Like any other game, hands and fingers are a bit off, as are the other parts.

Sound 9/10: The sound is very good. Guns sound real. Sometimes soldiers, German and American alike, will talk while in combat. When Germans are shot, they cry out some words. Your soldiers yell for you to get down, when you are getting hit. Mortars and tanks also sound great. I have experienced one minor problem. When I was shooting my Thompson, it made its noise, but after I stopped shooting, it still made the sound, which became quite annoying. Other than that, sound is great.

Story (nonexistent/10): There really isn't a story. It's about Sgt.Matt Baker leading his men to victory. Big Deal.

Realism 9/10: All I hear about this game is how real it is. For the most part, it is very authentic. There are a few things that are not right. One such thing is the fact that when firing the M1 Garand rifle, you can reload in the middle of a clip. On the real gun, this is not possible. And of course, there is the fact that you and the enemy can survive several shots, even in the head, but that is acceptable.

Overall, this game is brilliantly done. It is worth looking into if you like shooters, strategy games, WWII games, or blowing people's legs off with grenades;)
I have enjoyed this game a lot. The publishers obviously took their time on this game, which shows. This game is fairly long and might last 12 - 14 hours. If you aren't sure about Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, rent it or check another review.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/15/05