"Jab, jab, jab...HAYMAKER!!!"

Introduction:

Before I have played this game, I wasn't particularly fond of boxing games. I heard "Ready 2 Rumble" was decent, but I never looked into it. My friend brought this game to me and said "Play it, you will love it." I was skeptical, but I played it.

Game play: 10/10

The game play is GREAT! I was expecting you were automatically dropped into action. You have a choice of either rebuilding a pro (e.i. Holyfield, Ali, Marciano) or create your own pro. You start off as a low, scum-of-the-earth boxer armature. But as you prove your self by winning matches and awards, you will eventually turn pro and go up ranks and fight in special events. When you become pro, you'll have the ability to "weight lift, heavy-bag, or combo-ing" to raise your stats and make your guy ripped.

Sound/Musical Score: 8/10

This games music lacks in the "Music Department" and just solely that. Fight Night has a few songs that are their, they get old fast. So if your looking for "Rocky Music" it isn't hear. But where this game succeeds far than expected is the misc. sound effects that you hear, and the ones you are suppose to. Nothing sounds better than five "Haymakers" in a row then hearing the crowd so silent as you approach tunnel vision.

Wow, graphics are absolutely superb. Sweat dripping, shine from the lights, blood dripping, bruises, cuts are all fantastic! And that is just for the face. Shorts move when you move, the do the ripple effect, which is the best I have seen ever. Hair sways when hit, sweat spatters off when you get slugged one, when the match gets intense, you actually see the expression on their face. On occaison, you see veins on the guys arms or other places.

Replay Value: 10/10

First of all, it is a long, long way to the top to become the ultimate fighter. Is it worth to do it again? YES! Rebuild a pro and get him to be number one or create another guy and Kill!!

Buy? Rent? Ignore?
Buy this game, you wont regret it. Get 4 guys, 4 cases of soda, 3 bags of chips and have an all out slam fest. If you ignore this game, I pity you.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/14/05