Review by Alucard7o2

"Realistic? Extremely. Good? No."

I've read about Black and decided that I would go and look it up online. I went to IGN and the graphics looked amazing! But that's just about what makes this game good.

Let me tell you why.

Graphics and Realism:
Black is based on realism. Realistic environments, weapons and atmosphere make this game an eye candy for FPSers. The guns are so sharp that it almost looks real. Bullet shells fall under you as you fire your gun. Corpses of enemies don't disappear as quickly as normal FPS's would. Destructible environments make shooting at enemies 10x more real. Enemies don't just die in 2 shots. They also don't make an exaggerated explosion of blood when killed. So basically the graphics and realism for this game would rank, for me, a [9/10].

<>Story:
The story for this game didn't exactly intrigue me. The cutscenes before every mission got boring. I had no idea what the **** they were talking about, nor did I care. And there wasn't anything that would make you go 'Whoa' in the storyline. The acting was good, though. I'd give story a [3/10].

Controls and Gameplay:
Controls were brilliant. Simple, fast and easy access to everything makes finding and killing bad guys a quickie. The aiming isn't sluggish. I was impressed by how the developers made the controls. I'd give it a [8/10].

Gameplay wasn't very good, though. Extremely low replay value. Each missions get longer as you progress. This would sound good, but seeing as how all you do is shoot, the developers should've made the game have more missions rather than longer, fewer ones. After beating the game, you get the Silver Weapons which give you the ability to have infinite weapons. Sure this would be good, but the game got boring for me even before I finished it. Few variety of enemies, this game becomes repetitive. No Co-Op nor Multiplayer gives this game a lower score. Gameplay, I'd give [4/10]

Sound:
Great sound. You can feel bullets and shells fly everywhere. Explosions sound amazing. Voice sounds convincing and not cheap. Sound, I'd give [8/10].

Conclusion:
Realism: 9/10
Controls: 8/10
Replay Value: 2/10

Rent or Buy: Rent. I almost made the mistake of buying this game, but I just went to my local store and decided to rent it.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 07/24/06