Review by Xuande12

"Black? Yes, Black Death"

After reading and hearing a lot about this game I decided to rent it and give it a try. The first thing I noticed was the lack of options, only the single player "story" mode and an options screen were available. Right when the game started up I felt an instant flashback to the good old days of my Play Station 2 and Freedom Fighters. However, this game couldn't live up. Apparently Black is renown for it's destruction elements but I didn't find type of eye candy or favorable graphics in my eyes, just an old run down graphic engine that couldn't push anything interesting. After a sigh of relief that I only rented the game, I checked to see who made it. Nevertheless, it was Electronic Arts and I was not surprised. Lately the company has been pushing out games that are half done in order to make quick money and rip the customer off, and it is working. What I truly don't understand is why characters in this game drop F bombs, yet there is no blood. I cannot fathom what goes on in the minds of those that made this game.

Graphics - 5.5/10

The graphics in this game are mediocre. The explosions don't look half bad but they are repetitive with no variety. The enemies all look the same and the guns have no realistic feel. What really lets this game down is the lack of blood, it is none existent. When you shoot the enemy dust comes out. Am I fighting walking corpses or something? If the game is going to be rated Mature, there might as well be blood.

Gameplay - 4/10

The controls in this game are far sub par, the destructible environments take too long to blow up, the guns have no jolt, and the levels are too repetitive. This is your typical run and gun shooter, with a poor aiming and firing engine. What really throws it off, is the way that the enemy will never die. You have to hold down the trigger and spray a 60 round clip in order to drop an enemy. The movement is stiff and at sometimes jerky. This is the most important part in an FPS, and it fails to deliver.

Sound - 3/10

Absolutely horrid, the only thing that sounds good in this game is the Americans "Spec Ops" gun. I literally turned the sound on my tv down because it was giving me a headache.

Story - 1/10

There isn't much to say about this, there wasn't much of a story. They tried to copy movies like the Bourne Identity and what not, it was a mess.

Value - 2.5/10

This game has almost no replay value. Sadly, Battlefield: Modern Combat had a better single player than this game. I was hyped up for it and it really let me down. Anytime I have to force myself to finish a game it is not a good one, and I rarely have to do that. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to destroy this games reputation, it just was that bad. Lately EA has failed to deliver anything new and seem to be down toning there games. I would recommend renting shooters from EA before buying, unless it has the name "Freedom Fighters 2." Stick with companies such as Capcom, Ubisoft, and Bungie, because they put quality time and effort into their games, and rarely disappoint.

Unless you are a hardcore first person shooter and die hard fan of single player, stay away from this game.

Overall - 3/10

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 03/20/06