Review by halo824

"The most realistic and fun stealth game to date!"

Introduction:
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is the third entry in this Tom Clancy stealth game. To my knowledge, the series has been incredibly realistic, and true to the real world as far as my knowledge on spies go, and with every new game to this awesome series, I am once again put in awe. This is one of the only series that has ever kept me waiting eagerly for the next entry. I don't know how they could improve on this game, so to pass the time until Splinter Cell 4 comes out, I thought I'd share my thoughts on this game with you.

Story 9/10 (Possible Spoilers)
You play as Sam Fisher, a spy for the National Security Agency (NSA), and throughout the game you are given orders from the Third Echelon, your department of the NSA. Sam Fisher goes through all different locations completing objectives given to him by Colonel Irving Lambert, the Third Echelon's director of operations. Some of these locations you are to face are Peru, a cargo ship in the middle of the ocean, a top security bank, and even New York.

The story as far this game goes, is that there are several head executives, rulers of the underground world, etc. who are all taking part in a war that will break loose, and it's all up to you to hide in the shadows and find out who these people are, and take them down any way possible, and prevent a World War from happening!

Graphics 10/10
The graphics are absolutely unbelievable. To me, this is the best part of the game. I've only found the most minor flaws in the graphics part in this game. The characters that are presented to us are cut smooth and practically flawless, and that's not just the cut scenes. The details in here are amazing, and present even the smallest details such as ridges on the bottom of a shoe, or scratches in a floor. As far as improving upon these graphics, I'm sure that it can be done, but so far, these are top of the notch.

Sound 8/10
The music in this game fits the mood perfectly. Though I never judge a game by the music that is played in the background, I would have to say that it's pretty decent. When you're spotted by and enemy, the music changes to a faster paced beat. When you are in an intense part, the music becomes intense.

The sound effects here are awesome. You can here what kind of material you are walking on just by listening. The bullets that are fired make different sounds depending what the surfaces are made of that they hit. You can here the shards of a grenade that are flung everywhere whiz past your ear and hit the walls behind you. When you walk, you can here the gravel rustling between your feet.

The voiceovers in the game are also done very well. I love it that even during game play you can see Sam's mouth move when he talks, as well as everyone else. For the most part, the voices come out of everyone's mouth just when they should, and they look well done. Not to mention the work of the voice actors, they do everything very good as well, and time everything perfectly.

Game play/Controls 9/10
The controls are another one of the best parts of this game. Everything is good just the way it is. Down to the way that everything is aligned perfectly with the controls, you never have to have you hands in an awkward position. Every single button on the controller has a use and they are assigned very well. The only problem that I found, and it is a very minor one at that, is that when you go back to play Splinter Cell 1 and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, you have to re-adjust your thoughts to play the game, because there are quite a few changes oddly enough. I found that out of the three games, this one has the best controls though. Everything just seems more fluent the more I play.

The game play itself is great. Everything seems to be working very well for the series. The only thing that I strongly disliked is that there are several moves in this game that are missing from the previous games. For instance, a move that was in both Splinter Cell 1 and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow is that you can lean away from a wall, and shoot at the same time. Now, you actually have to separate yourself from the wall, and then shoot. You don't have to actually remove yourself from the wall manually, this is done automatically, but I thought that in the old ones, that was a cool move. Another move that was taken out is the Swat Roll, and this was just introduced in the previous entry. This move was awesome, what it did, what when you were up against a wall and were leaning into the doorway, you would hit a designated button, and you would roll right past the door in a fluent matter. This move was great because it kept you unnoticed for longer than manually separating yourself from the wall and then walking past the door. It was much faster the other way. One last move is when you would face a wall, jump, and then hit the jump button again, this would push you off the wall and it would allow you to reach greater heights. Another very useful move.

Basically, you'll love the controls, but if you played the other ones, you'll be missing a few of the old moves, and if you go back to playing the older ones, you'll be screwing up the controls until you re-figure them out.

Replay 10/10
As with the other Splinter Cells, I think I'll always find myself popping them in sometime again, and I think that most people will agree with me. I've played through this game countless times probably by now, and some of the levels you'll want to play over and over again in different ways, making it very hard for you to put down the controller.

Overall (not average) 10/10
I love this game, always will, and I will always buy the next entry in the series for the consoles. However, I would suggest staying away from the portable versions of this game, unless the PSP comes out with one, but you will be very disappointed most likely playing them on the GBA, and definitely the DS.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/17/05