"I have a bad feeling about this..."

"I have a bad feeling about this."

This line is not only my tagline, but also in every Star Wars film. It has become an infamous line among Star Wars fans. And at first glance of LEGO Star Wars, this was what I said. In another attempt to milk the Star Wars license, there was now going to be a Star Wars game...with Legos. I was a bit put off at first, but after seeing the game in action during trailers and such, I was quickly swayed to the LEGO side. LEGO Star Wars may look like a four-year old's excuse for a Star Wars game, but you don't know the power of the LEGO's.

In LEGO Star Wars, you will play through all of the major battle sequences of the prequel films. Yes, all of them. We're talking the Darth Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon lightsaber fight of The Phantom Menace, the Geonosis battle of Attack Of The Clones, and the epic final duel between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker of Revenge Of The Sith. And all of this...is with LEGO's. While it may seem strange and stupid, is is pure greatness. There's nothing quite as interesting as running through a Trade Federation ship as a LEGO Obi-Wan Kenobi, slicing up battle droids. Or using the force to build a LEGO bridge, allowing you to cross to safety.

It plays rather easy, as well. Anyone can pick it up and start slicing away. And I do mean anyone. The great thing about it is that it's designed for anyone. Anyone, whether they're six years old, to eighteen years old. Hell, even forty years old. It doesn't matter. If you like, love or even slightly enjoy Star Wars, you'll fall in love with LEGO Star Wars. Even if you don't like Star Wars, it is still a great game for people who just love games. It doesn't take itself too seriously, which is another plus. It's just about having fun and playing.

The controls are nice, yet simple. X is your basic attack button, but it has several combos as it is. A is jump, which you can also press again in the air to do a flip(Jedi only). B allows you to use the force. The great thing about using the force in the game is how you use it. It can either be Moving a pile of LEGO blocks that are in the way of a switch, building a LEGO bridge or force-pushing a battle droid, but there is more to it.

The graphics are not state of the art, but due to the style of the game(being that it's LEGO's), that is not a problem at all. The graphics are actually quite charming. While kid-friendly, they are good nonetheless. The cut-scenes, while also kid-friendly, are often humorous, poking slight fun at the Star Wars universe. Watching your character break apart into LEGO blocks is something that you'll smile at every time.

Sound is another home run. We have it all. You've got your lightsaber sounds, your blasters, your cries of death. It's all here. The music is great, as always for a Star Wars game. It uses music from not only the prequel trilogy, but also the original trilogy as well.

But it isn't all Jedi slicing action. The amount of playable characters is astounding. Padme, Jango Fett, Chewbacca, R2-D2, Darth Vader, Yoda, Darth Sidious and General Grevious just to name a few. Even Princess Leia is available. Another great feature of LEGO Star Wars is the Free Play mode. After completing a level in story mode, you'll then be able to play through that level in Free Play. This mode is great, as it allows you to simply explore the levels using a certain set of characters, which are shown to you when you start the level in free play mode. You can switch between these characters on the fly using the L and R triggers.

One thing that LEGO Star Wars may have against it is length. As it only plays out the action scenes of all three films, you have only 17 levels. 6 for Episode I, 5 for Episode II and 6 for Episode III. There is also a secret, hidden level. These levels are not long, but they're also not short, either. They are what I would call medium length. You can easily blast through all three episodes within a day(I know from experience). But if you have two controllers(or even four), the multiplayer is great. While the one-player is short, the multiplayer can extend the life span. And if the multiplayer is enough to justify you paying 40 dollars, then the short length of the game may not even matter to you.

Overall, though, LEGO Star Wars is a fantastic, fun, enjoyable and adorable(yes, I said adorable) game. It plays well, sounds great, doesn't take itself too seriously, and plus, it's Star Wars, so I'm already in. So if you're wanting a game that is just fun, not too complex, and just all around great, pick up LEGO Star Wars now. So until next time, may the force be with you.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/06/05