"Mega Man's our man! If he can't do it, no one can!"

INTRODUCTION

Boy, these games bring back so many memories. As a child, I use to play Mega Man 1 and 2 all the time. I'd always beat those games mercilessly. Now, they beat me up. It's sad to say that it seems that I had more skill as a gamer when I was a child, then now. I guess it's because games then were tougher than now and I was use to being kicked around. Now, I'm not because games now a days are easier. So, lets get started!

SOUND (7/10)

Well, it'd be unfair to judge the sound on these games compared to games now a days, wouldn't it? If you've been living in a hole, the Mega Man games were released on the NES. So how do you think the sound will be? The music in the game, despite it being so simple, is actually pretty cool. Some of the songs in the levels you might find yourself humming. When Mega Man jumps, you hear a sound. When he shoots, you'll hear a sound. And it sounds pretty much the same. I mean, it's NES games. Now as the series progressed, they branched out more with sound. I think the latest game on the collection was released in 1997 or so. So of course they could do more then with sound. However, some of the voices on the later Mega Man games are rather silly. And despite some of the songs being cool on the earlier titles, some are still pretty stupid and you might find yourself turning the volume down. It's also worth mentioning that Capcom remixed some of the songs, some sound okay, some aren't. I am gonna give the sound an 7.

GRAPHICS (6/10)

The graphics on the early Mega Man games were pretty plain, of course. When you switch weapons with Mega Man, the only thing that changes on him is the color of the suit. And some of the colors are pretty ugly, to say the least. As the series progressed, the levels were more colorful and cartoony, which I find to be kind of stupid, honestly. One major problem I have with the graphics is that it seems their is a problem with the framerate. On Mega Man 1, 2 and 3, when you are playing, sometimes it lags a bit and your health bar and possibly the bosses' health bar flashes, which gets really annoying. Now I do not know if it's like this on the other Mega Man titles in the game, as I haven't played them yet. However, I played the Anniversary Collection on the Gamecube and it was the same way. I don't know what the problem is, but Capcom could of fixed this since the Collection on the XBox was released months later from the Gamecube and PS2 Collection. This problem is going to hurt the score, so I am going to give the graphics a 6.

CONTROLS (10/10)

Of course the controls are easy, you only need to hit like two buttons, jump and shoot and then the Analog Stick to move Mega Man. L and R cycles through your weapons, but I think it's easier to do that in the Start Menu. I am going to give the controls a 10.

STORY (6/10)

The story is the same pretty much throughout the whole series. Dr. Wily wants to take over the world, baby! (doesn't everyone?) Dr. Wily is one greedy mad scientist and he has his robots do his dirty work and Mega Man has to help Dr. Light, Mega Man's friend. So, yep, that's the story pretty much through every game. I am going to give the story a 6.

GAMEPLAY (9/10)

The gameplay is your typical NES game. You start the level, you run, you shoot, you jump, you die and you mix and repeat through every level. You might even curse a little because some of the levels are so hard. Yes, these games are hard, my friend. If you've never played a Mega Man game before, you will be challenged. These is an Easy Mode and a Normal Mode. So if you have too much trouble with Normal, as you probably will, then you can switch to Easy and go on your merry way. There is also a lot to do in this game, as I am going to touch on in a minute. I am going to give the Gameplay a 9.

REPLAY VALUE (10/10)

There is a lot to do in this game. There is ten games in this collection, in case you don't know. There's Mega Man 1-8 and then two Mega Man games that weren't released in the States. Now, if you know what you are doing, you can probably beat one of the games in about an hour. However if you don't know what you are doing, then it might take you a few hours to beat one game. One of the games that you can unlock is actually a game you can play with a friend. I played a little of it before I started this review and it seems fun. Besides unlocking the two games, you can unlock a few other little things of interest. So, there is a lot to do in this Collection so I am going to give the Replay Value a 10.

CONCLUSION ON SCORES

Replay Value - 10/10
AVERAGE: 8
FINAL SCORE: 8/10

THE FINAL WORD

You really can't go wrong with picking this title up. It's only $20 brand new. However, on the PS2 and Gamecube, they might still be going for $30 brand new, not sure. But these games are some of the finest moments in old school gaming. And this might hold you over until the Mega Man X Collection comes out. Now if you are picky about your graphics and stuff like that, you might not like this. But if you aren't, then I am highly recommending this.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/03/05