Review by orangeglacier

"A mix of very good parts and very bad parts"

Worms 4: Mayhem is probably one of the weirdest games I have ever played. For starters, it is a turn-based strategy game where you fight-using worms. There are a lot of weapons to use, as well as some cool tools like ninja ropes and jet packs. The game was pretty enjoyable, and I would recommend it to anyone, even those who consider turn-based strategy to be too intellectual for them.

Where Worms 4 shines is its multiplayer. There are 5 types of terrain: Arabian, Construction, Medieval, Prehistoric, and Wild West. You can choose from a handful of premade maps, or you can play on a randomized map from any of the terrain types. If you find a map you really like in randomization, you can write its code down so you can play it again. There can be up to 4 teams, with up to 6 worms a team and 16 max total worms. The gameplay itself consists of firing weapons at each other while roaming around maps packed with water (which kills worms instantly), mines, and teleport pads that send you to another random teleport. On your turn, you can move as much as you want, but your whole turn is timed. Your turn also ends when you attack or, in an annoying twist, when you fall a medium distance.

The weapons in the game all handle differently, and they range from standard (a shotgun you can fire twice a turn), to weird (a balloon you steer at the opponent that lifts them in the air, then pops and drops them), to disturbing (a flatulent old lady that you steer and detonate.) Crates randomly fall each turn, which you can get weapons, health, and tools from. However, the coolest of all are mystery crates. They have a random effect, from poisoning your team, to giving you a superweapon, to flooding the field.

The music in this game is nondescript, but non annoying. Controls can take some getting used to, but the big problem is the jumping. Now, jumping isn't a major part of the gameplay, so why does it matter? Because some genius decided to make single-player story mode into a set of jumping puzzles!

Worms has many great things going for it, like the fact that it is packed with puns, or the wacky weapons, (Holy Hand Grenade, anyone?) but one of the best parts is that you can create your own team of worms and outfit them with tons of accessories. For example, my team of worms have general's hats, 3-D glasses, a wise man mustache, and blue gloves. My friend's have bishop hats, disco glasses, a Scottish mustache, and yellow gloves. In addition, you can outfit your team with your own custom weapon. My team's secret weapon is an air-strike that drops a single explosive die on the enemy. My friend's is an air-strike that drops 10 explosive chickens. You can choose from a large variety of statistics, including many types of payloads, such as skulls, Russian dolls, ape heads, and toilet paper rolls.

If you have a buddy to play multiplayer with, this could last for a long time. By yourself, however, I can't recommend this. The story mode is horrible.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/07/05